Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a new Niner Rip 9. I am working to get a wheel upgrade. The bike has Stans Flow EX with stans hubs. From what I can tell they engage about the same as my outgoing Bontrager Rhythm Pro's and weigh about the same. I have been looking at the I9 torch trail $1200, Roval Control 29 carbon $1200, and DT Swiss Spline XM 1501. I am not really technical at wheels specs. Like I said $1200 is the max budget before trade in. I weigh 170lbs w/ gear. I concider myself a smooth rider (have not damaged many rims), I will be setting up tubeless with about a 2.3" tire. I would consider my terrain rooty, some rocks, no drops over 3-4'.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I9 Trail 32 or I9 classic hubs & light bike carbon rims

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Specialized Roval Control Carbon 29...the best deal around. 1580 grams and 240 pound weight limit. Stiff and works great tubeless.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems the roval has a lot to offer, not sure if the dealer can do better on the roval as they are also a specialized dealer. Any others wheels to consider?

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
The Flow rims are overkill for you, but Stan's 3.30 hubs have 12 degrees between engagement points. The best you can get with the DT's or Roval's are with the 36 tooth ratchet, which gives 10 deg between engagement points. This is not a huge difference.

Chris King hubs have 5 deg between engagement points. I9 hubs are 3 deg between engagement points. Of these two I lean toward the King hub in terms of quality, but they are heavier. For reference, the new Hope pro 2 Evo hubs are 9 deg. Shimano XTR hubs are 10 deg.

There are several quality aluminum rims on the market that will build into a wheelset of about 1500g. Which rim you choose somewhat depends on what type of tires you want to run. UST tire's don't fit on Stan's rims very well.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I also run Roval Control Carbon's and love them.

They are light and stiff.

I got mine for $1080 from my LBS so I guess they can come down in price.

Seems the roval has a lot to offer, not sure if the dealer can do better on the roval as they are also a specialized dealer. Any others wheels to consider?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess they offer the rovals at $1700 and $1200 price points.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The $1700 is for the SL's. Really light and not quite as strong as the Control Carbon's and has the DT 240 internals vs the DT 350 internals.

I ride the Control Carbon's

As far as the engagement, I have Chris King's on my other MTB and on my road bike and the difference in engagement is not that noticeable to me. Heck, I am will to say that I can't even really tell...

I guess they offer the rovals at $1700 and $1200 price points.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the Roval Control carbons on the way.

It was a toss up and didn't think I would loose either way. It came down to hub engagement vs carbon hoops.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just came back from a pretty hard trail ride today - twisty single, flow-type single, steep climb singletrqck, fast descents and technical ones too. My Roval's performed flawlessly :) I'm VERY happy with my wheelset. I was able to comfortably keep up with my friend who competes in XC and Enduro. The wheels are def stiffer but just the right amount. I had to actually "speed up" my rebound about 2 clicks to compensate for the slight firmness. Man....these wheels really have improved my climbing too. I'm getting fitter as well but the decrease in rotational mass is pretty evident. I did a trail today called Guadalasca, found a gear and just spun with it all the way up the trail. Bombing down I just had so much confidence knowing where my wheels were going to be next. I just had such an easy time "flicking" the bike around. Glad I made this choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts