Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too often I get a evening home alone, with the opportunity to just veg. When I do, I usually rent a moive the SO won't like (read: Godfather, the Sapranos [sp?], etc.).

It's been a while since I've seen new release (I saw Ray and Sideways, and that's really it). Anybody have any recent releases they'd like to recommend?

·
Registered
489 Posts
U-turn

It's been out a few years but many people haven't seen it. Lots of twists and turns. I don't know how to describe it, maybe check some reviews. It's one of my favorites. Directed by Oliver Stone with Sean Penn, Billy Bob Thorton, Nick Nolte, Jennifer Lopez, Joaquin Pheonix, and Claire Danes. If you haven't seen it you should.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Village - suspense

Without a paddle - funny

The usual suspects - one of my favorites if you have not seen it

Harold and Kumar got to white castle - if you toke

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
skinny-tire said:
Not too often I get a evening home alone, with the opportunity to just veg. When I do, I usually rent a moive the SO won't like (read: Godfather, the Sapranos [sp?], etc.).

It's been a while since I've seen new release (I saw Ray and Sideways, and that's really it). Anybody have any recent releases they'd like to recommend?
Memento

Not a real recent release, but under the radar for a lot of people...

Also Garden State. Probably either love it or hate it, but its a unique script which is increasingly uncommon in today's world of sequels and comic book movies.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (obviously--c'mon, some good british humor finally!)
Arlington Road (really interesting movie, really twisted ending, but it makes you think)
Memento (I agree with JDub--but be prepared to think!)

I dunno, give us some genre and we can help you out a little more.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bob said:
It's been out a few years but many people haven't seen it. Lots of twists and turns. I don't know how to describe it, maybe check some reviews. It's one of my favorites. Directed by Oliver Stone with Sean Penn, Billy Bob Thorton, Nick Nolte, Jennifer Lopez, Joaquin Pheonix, and Claire Danes. If you haven't seen it you should.
I've been interested in this partly because it was filmed in Superior, AZ, and I used to live in Globe, AZ just up the street.

·
suck it trebeK
418 Posts
Have you seen Blow? It's a really good movie, and Johnny Depp is one of my favourite actors.

I second Garden State, it's really different. Either love it or hate it. I think it really helps if it's the kind of thing you've been able to relate to at some point or other in your life.

Office Space is one of the funniest movies ever. Or some oldies like Tommy Boy and Rush Hour 1 & 2. :cool:

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
I second U-Turn

skinny-tire said:
I've been interested in this partly because it was filmed in Superior, AZ, and I used to live in Globe, AZ just up the street.
A friggin film noir classic. It is also one of the reasons I love riding around the Superior area.

Another to consider is "City Of God", a killer film on Brazilain ghetto gangster life.

Maybe go with an old classic like "Maltese Falcon" for cool Bogey one liners like "You'll take your smacking and like it".

Consider some classic Krubik; "Dr. Strange Love" and "Full Metal Jacket"

If you want to see how low a human can go see "Dogsville", garanteed to leave you disturbed.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
skinny-tire said:

Debbie Does Dallas III. It's an oldie, but a goodie!

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Anything by John Sayles. My fave is Secret of Roan Inish, but you could save that to watch with the SO. Maybe Brother From Another Planet? Regarding the other suggestions, The Ususal Suspects is in my top 3 all-time (as is Little Big Man - wierd, eh?), but U-turn left me feeling disappointed. YMMV,
- Joe

·
120 pounds of xc sex!
639 Posts
???

All of us love adventure, if you are on our site....

The motorcycle diaries. Not as much blood and gore, but a kick ass story.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I got 2 words...

and those 2 words are

POOTIE TANG!!!

maybe not what your after but if you like "stupid humor" it's great. I was on the floor wheezing with belly laughs the first time I saw it - of course I was quite drunk too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"momento"- this one is wil keep you gessing and on the edge. Imagine a guy whose wife is murdered and during the struggle with the attacker the jusband gets injured. Whats his injury. His Head, he has no short term memory. His only memories are up to the point of the attack. Imagine meeting some one and a couple of minutes later you have no idea about where you, who you are, who this person you are talking with is and your tryng to find the person that killed you wife, at least you have that memory right. This one is a roller coaster. It has some characters from the Matrix in it. This is one of my favorite movies. Its about 3 years old.
Have fun,
M.C. :D

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Return of the King

skinny-tire said:

Extended version.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.