Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a light for my trail bike so I can ride at night (obvioulsy). But I have no idea what to look for.

Is bar or helmet mounted better? I'm thinking bar mounted. What's a good usable wattage? What is a good brand?

I probably want to spend no more than $200, and that is stretching it since I don't know how much I'm going to use it. Maybe a bar mounted one with the battery that fits in the water bottle cage (or are those outdated)???

·
Registered
79 Posts
lights

I dont' know what kind of riding you do. The last time I shopped for lights was for my commuter. I'm using an old cateye halogen that uses four AA batteries that allows me to see fairly well, but goes through batteries quick, and an led light that strobes for others to see me on the front. For the rear I got two fairly compact units, one that strobes and one the flashes (both led based). I mounted them really close together to make for a truly anoing eye catcher. But I did have to MacGiver a dual mount. I did look at the disco ball for a rear, but didn't think much of it's brightness. While I was driving a few months back I saw a guy with an old green strobing led light for a rear, it REALLY stood out.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Look into the units made by Jet Lites.

They offer some of the best halogen lights around with excellent battery run times.

A helmet mount light will give you light where you need, especially on switchbacks when you're turning into them.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
FISHLEG said:
I'm considering getting a light for my trail bike so I can ride at night (obvioulsy). But I have no idea what to look for.

Is bar or helmet mounted better? I'm thinking bar mounted. What's a good usable wattage? What is a good brand?

I probably want to spend no more than $200, and that is stretching it since I don't know how much I'm going to use it. Maybe a bar mounted one with the battery that fits in the water bottle cage (or are those outdated)???
The light in this thread is absolutely the best deal around http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=78470&highlight=hid they also sell it in a kit with a Lithium ion battery for $220 http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=738 . A light with the same specs but made by a "mtn biking" brand would cost you around $450.

Bar vs helmet light has been debated to the end here, do a search. The consensus is using both is best. Bar mount is nice because it causes shadows, very important on tricky trails so that you can see the ruts. Helmet lights offer no shadows in your line of sight making bumps look flat and if you follow other riders, the back scatter from the dust is a bit more blinding with the helmet light. The helmet light lets you see around corners, important if you are hauling arse on a tight twisty single track. If I am going on a ride that i will only need the light for the last half hour of the ride I will only take a bar light. The added weight on my head and in the camel back from the helmet light still bothers me.

If you like building things, you could try a DiY light. You can built a fairly bright light for $50 using this Nimh battery and a 20 watt mr16 bulb. Do a search here, there are some really good ideas.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Check the classifieds...

where I am selling my Jet Lites Starfire dual beam set up. It is in new condition, very bright, and fits your budget. Something like the Cateye mentioned in the previous thread will definitely not be sufficient for trail riding at night. The Jet Lites are definitely BRIGHT.

Peter

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
JetLites

frankenbike said:
Look into the units made by Jet Lites.

They offer some of the best halogen lights around with excellent battery run times.

A helmet mount light will give you light where you need, especially on switchbacks when you're turning into them.
Phantom Single Beam w/ Smart Switch i13

12W ideal for most off road conditions or commuting. For more technical rocky terrain you may want to consider a 20W lamp. 20W ideal for all off road conditions. 115 degree "Aim-as-you-ride " helmet mount with safety breakaway. 3 light level smart switching light head. Battery storage ideally suited for water hydration pack.

http://www.jetlites.com/psb_ss.html

20W is brighter than most the people than most the people i ride with (you know what i mean!) Great light...i can get almost 6 hours of light. kicksass!

definately get a helmet light vs. barmount! see where you're looking and not where the bike is pointed!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JET Lites look like the best bet to me.

The more I think about it the Phantom (helmet mounted) sounds better than bar mounted. There's lots of swithbacks on the trails I will be riding.

And if a rabid racoon attacks me I want to be able to see it, not have to swing my bike around! ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have been using the Phantom for a year and love it. It is so much brighter than any other halgen light I have seen. One thing to note is that it doesn't come with anything to hold the cord to the helmet. When I first got mine I had to deal with the cord by the side of my head. Then I used a small piece of velcro (something like what you would use to hold computer wires together) and it held the cord straight back to the battery. Overall Jet Lights are high quality products and I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Patience... and Ebay

Watch ebay for a while. Last week I picked up a brand new L&M ARC HID for 227. It is the nimh model, but it rocks. Just keep your eyes peeled for a deal. My bud just got one for 250, which is still a good buy.

later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.