Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Queen Kona
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the seat post on my Kona King Kikapu. It's a 27.2. Obviously not too pricey, something mid-range. I like the carbon ones...save some weight. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Isn't Thomson the only seatpost manufacturer out there? I didn't know there was an option on seatposts. :D

Seriously, I would consider a Thomson.
Carbon is nice, but it's definitely not "mid-range" on price. I think you could find a used Thomson on Ebay very cheap. You might find a used carbon cheap, but then you risk it's true condition.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Gotta beat the dead horse

Thomson seat posts are great. One came stock on my bike and I never thought I could be so impressed by a part as simple as a seat post. Strong, not too heavy and the most noticeable thing (for me at least), the adjustment mechanism is great, very easy to fine tune and it stays that way. Uses a 2 bolt system instead of one, check one out, you'll see why it makes more sense.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
There are rumors that other companies besides Thomson also make seatposts. I just choose not to believe it :D
Yeah there are a few companies that make good posts. Look at Race Face, FSA, Easton for example.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check out the Sette APX seatpost on Pricepoint.com. I picked one up as it was only $20, and I think it's great. I was going to go for a Thomson, but for $20 I threw one of these in on my last order figuring I didn't have much to lose. It's much better than the old single clamb post I had before. Like the Thomson, it's a two bolt system so you can fine tune the seat angle. The post is also slightly ribbed so it won't slip. It's also got numbers imprinted on the post so you can keep track of your seat height. I've read several times that people think it's the same design as the old Syncros seatpost, which seems highly regarded and used to go for around $100. It's only about 250g too.

·
JORBA: Six Mile Run
428 Posts
Thomson...

Bluebug32 said:
I need to replace the seat post on my Kona King Kikapu. It's a 27.2. Obviously not too pricey, something mid-range. I like the carbon ones...save some weight. Any suggestions??
Contact Larry at Mountain High Cyclery and get a great price on a Thomson post.

·
In exile
542 Posts
Beth, you could get this FSA 200 post , but it is really not nearly as nice as a Thomson. I have tried lots of posts, and even kind of dislike Thomson's service in regards to some warranty deals people had with stem face plates, but their posts are best. Post up that you want a 27.2 post on RM or here and I am sure you can find one. You should likely be able to find one new for $65 - $70. If it were not such a common size, I might recommend something else, but as you can reuse it later on something else, you might as well. Tell tight ass to buy you one. :D

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Hecubus said:
There are rumors that other companies besides Thomson also make seatposts. I just choose not to believe it :D
Yeah there are a few companies that make good posts. Look at Race Face, FSA, Easton for example.
What?! Race Face, FSA, and Easton make seatposts? You are a liar! Seriously, if you are looking for a seatpost, why would you NOT get a Thomson? If you are that concerned with weight, get the Masterpiece!

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Okay, I'll 9th the Thomson recomendation. I use them on 2 of my 3 main bikes (the other is a RF XY that I got a great deal on, or I would have bought a Thomson.)

Cheap posts bend, snap, slip or seperate. Thomson stands up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.