Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of F/R trail tires that are light, fast and puncture resistant. What do you guys like? Was considering options like Nobby Nic, Magic Mary, DHR2 and Hans Dampf.

·
Registered
14,793 Posts
Of those the NN will be lightest and fastest.
I have good longevity from XR2 Teams or the new XR3 2.4(got it but no trail time yet). They're designed for wider rims because of high volume and rounded tread design.
Lower pressures.
You can use a wider rim and lower pressure than a Nobby Nic or Maxxis. Means bigger footprint.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Moved from a Nobby Nic rear and Magic Mary front to my new favourite combination of Aggressor rear and Shorty or DHF up front.

I really like the Aggressor for the nice balance of speed and grip and the Shorty or DHF for its cornering ability in a wide variety of terrain and circumstances.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moved from a Nobby Nic rear and Magic Mary front to my new favourite combination of Aggressor rear and Shorty or DHF up front.

I really like the Aggressor for the nice balance of speed and grip and the Shorty or DHF for its cornering ability in a wide variety of terrain and circumstances.
How did the Aggressor compare to the NN in the rear for traction and speed?

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,179 Posts
I too am interested in the responses.

After going with a trusted DHF/DHR2 combo for almost a decade, I have switched things up with a new hardtail build, going with a 2.5 DHF/Aggressor (DC) combo to see if there would be a reduction in RR. Still waiting for my Ride Wrap kit to arrive so no miles yet. Ride Wrap to arrive early next week. I will report back after that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just based on feeling and memory i would say the Aggressor brings more traction for a slight loss in speed compared to the NN.

I moved away from the NN and looked for another tire to gain more traction. First i tried with the DHR2 which was great traction wise but the hit in speed was too big for the trails i usually ride. The Aggressor exactly brings what i was looking for, speed and traction.

Ps. comparing 2.35 Schwalbe's with 2.5WT Maxxis tyres.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
For speed, I'd eliminate the DHRII for a rear tire.

I have tried to become poor by buying up tires. My go to tire for the cross country/trail rides in the Park City Utah area have been 29x2.35 Addix Nobby Nics. I've found these to be fast and they hook up well IN THESE CONDITIONS. I have used them in a 27.5x2.6 Addix version in the same conditions and really thought they were great also - better than smaller versions (2.25/2.35). I also ran 27.5x2.6 Rocket Rons and they are slightly faster, but the reduction in grip made me go to the NoNi's.

My 29er came with 2.3 DHRII/DHF and the grip was good, but the DHRII's were slower, more work.
I tried 29x2.6 Rekons (in the alphabet variety) F&R in the St.George area and liked them a lot. They climbed well with good grip in the sandy rocky conditions there, though I don't think cornering is their strong suit. Haven't tried them in PC yet, so I don't know how they will stack up against my NoNi's. I did notice, though, that in the off axis ledgy climbing in Moab, the small knobs on the rear did not hook up well for techy climbs. I believe that would be true of almost any small knobbed tire, especially with transition knobs. The NoNi's do hook up well there.

I am currently running a 29x2.6 WT DHF (alphabet) up front and really love it. It's only about 50 grams heavier than the 2.3 and I can run lower pressure. With that, I'm running a 29x2.5 WT Aggressor (dual compound) rear and the combo is faster than the DHF/DHRII and only slightly slower on timed climbs in more XC terrain than the NoNi's - like on the order of 5% or so - but the payoff in traction is great. I ran them in Moab and they hook up so well that they are my Moab tires, now. Iran them on the Navajo Rocks figure 8 and they were great, though I threw the lighter wheel/tire combo on for Slickrock because it's basically just a grunt climb.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

After going with a trusted DHF/DHR2 combo for almost a decade, I have switched things up with a new hardtail build, going with a 2.5 DHF/Aggressor (DC) combo to see if there would be a reduction in RR. Still waiting for my Ride Wrap kit to arrive so no miles yet. Ride Wrap to arrive early next week. I will report back after that.
Thanks, a review on the switch from DHR2 to Aggressor would be interesting.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts

I think you will really like the difference!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was looking to do same thing this season and have moved away from the Maxxis (oem) to the Schwalbe (NN F/R). I'm mostly a xc kinda rider so well see how this works out. I don't race and don't take dh at breakneck speeds.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
I really wanted to like the NN as I really liked its size and weight. Alas, I found it just didn't really hook up well on my terrain. I really like the Vittoria Morsa for a fast roller, but it isn't a lightweight by any means.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the same question as the OP. From my perspective the slowest possible tire is the one that blows out a sidewall. Second slowest is susceptible to tread punctures (that don't seal and require plugging). Last year I ran XR4's and didn't have any sidewall issues but had several tread punctures requiring plugs. Currently riding DRF/DHR2 with zero issues as expected. Other than the aggressor and Minion SS are there any faster rolling Maxxis tires (for the rear) with as tough a casing as the Minion? My guess is that the Ardent, Forekaster, and Rekon are all a lighter weight (weaker) casings.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I really wanted to like the NN as I really liked its size and weight. Alas, I found it just didn't really hook up well on my terrain. I really like the Vittoria Morsa for a fast roller, but it isn't a lightweight by any means.
I found the Bonti XR4s to be similar to the NN. The side knobs tear prematurely too. On the plus side they don't cost $90.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
I have the same question as the OP. From my perspective the slowest possible tire is the one that blows out a sidewall. Second slowest is susceptible to tread punctures (that don't seal and require plugging). Last year I ran XR4's and didn't have any sidewall issues but had several tread punctures requiring plugs. Currently riding DRF/DHR2 with zero issues as expected. Other than the aggressor and Minion SS are there any faster rolling Maxxis tires (for the rear) with as tough a casing as the Minion? My guess is that the Ardent, Forekaster, and Rekon are all a lighter weight (weaker) casings.
Here's the list of Maxxis tires. From the pull down you can see what tires come with tougher casing options. There are quite a few. For example, the Rekon comes in an EXO+, the Ardent comes in an LUST/UST version. Explanations are on site.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here's the list of Maxxis tires. From the pull down you can see what tires come with tougher casing options. There are quite a few. For example, the Rekon comes in an EXO+, the Ardent comes in an LUST/UST version. Explanations are on site.
Your link didn't seem to get posted. Note that an EXO Ikon is not going to have as tough a sidewall and an EXO Minion, only tougher than an non EXO IKON. The EXO+ Rekon might be the answer if it only came in the 2.4 x 29 (appears to be only in the 2.6 for now).

My understanding is the minion/aggressor/highroller have pretty much the same toughness of casing for equivalent models (EXO vs EXO or DD vs DD). I suspect that the IKON, Rekon and perhaps the Forekaster are similar casing strength. I am not sure about the where the many different Ardent fit in. The weight of the Ardent seems to imply a tougher casing (than the more XC tires), but then again the 2.4 Ardent has a lot more volume than a 2.4 Minion. I did have good luck with the discontinued Griffin as far as sidewall and tread puncture toughness went. However, the Griffin I had for a rear tire was 3c and the side knobs only lasted about 1-2 months (similar to a nobby nic or XR4).

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Your link didn't seem to get posted. Note that an EXO Ikon is not going to have as tough a sidewall and an EXO Minion, only tougher than an non EXO IKON. The EXO+ Rekon might be the answer if it only came in the 2.4 x 29 (appears to be only in the 2.6 for now).

My understanding is the minion/aggressor/highroller have pretty much the same toughness of casing for equivalent models (EXO vs EXO or DD vs DD). I suspect that the IKON, Rekon and perhaps the Forekaster are similar casing strength. I am not sure about the where the many different Ardent fit in. The weight of the Ardent seems to imply a tougher casing (than the more XC tires), but then again the 2.4 Ardent has a lot more volume than a 2.4 Minion. I did have good luck with the discontinued Griffin as far as sidewall and tread puncture toughness went. However, the Griffin I had for a rear tire was 3c and the side knobs only lasted about 1-2 months (similar to a nobby nic or XR4).
My fault.

https://www.maxxis.com/tires/bicycle/mountain

I have no idea, just thought you'd like to research it yourself.
My Rekon sidewalls "feel" about the same as my DHRII sidewalls, but that can be deceiving.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Running a 2.35 Nobby Nic and Rock Razor. Pretty happy with the combo on hard, dry and sometimes loose dirt. The Nic came in around 820 and the RR at 740gr (the RR was lighter than I expected). Picked them up for $32 each.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My fault.

https://www.maxxis.com/tires/bicycle/mountain

I have no idea, just thought you'd like to research it yourself.
My Rekon sidewalls "feel" about the same as my DHRII sidewalls, but that can be deceiving.
Yes I appreciate your help, I have been researching that same Maxxis page for some time (known about it for years). Their descriptions are pretty much worthless as they all pretty much sound the same, at least they "never forget the racer in you". Their sizing is also inconsistent, some are smaller than advertised and some are right on. I don't know about the Rekon 2.4 or 2.6 29ers, but the 2.8 EXO 27.5+ was paper thin at a weight of 780gr for a + tire, now the EXO+ 2.8 is 950gr, might be much stronger(but I ditched the plus wheels for 29ers).

Lots of folks don't have to worry about sidewall cuts, due to either the area in which the ride or to a lessor extent their riding style. What I am looking for is for someone who gets sidewall cuts (or bad tread punctures) when the ride tires susceptible to cuts to give feedback on which (somewhat) faster rolling tires they haven't had sidewall cuts with. Right now I am only confident in the Aggressor and the Minion SS. Some of the Ardents and Rekon 29ers in the 2.4 sizes might be okay, I'm not sure, looking for some feedback.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Yes I appreciate your help, I have been researching that same Maxxis page for some time (known about it for years). Their descriptions are pretty much worthless as they all pretty much sound the same, at least they "never forget the racer in you". Their sizing is also inconsistent, some are smaller than advertised and some are right on. I don't know about the Rekon 2.4 or 2.6 29ers, but the 2.8 EXO 27.5+ was paper thin at a weight of 780gr for a + tire, now the EXO+ 2.8 is 950gr, might be much stronger(but I ditched the plus wheels for 29ers).

Lots of folks don't have to worry about sidewall cuts, due to either the area in which the ride or to a lessor extent their riding style. What I am looking for is for someone who gets sidewall cuts (or bad tread punctures) when the ride tires susceptible to cuts to give feedback on which (somewhat) faster rolling tires they haven't had sidewall cuts with. Right now I am only confident in the Aggressor and the Minion SS. Some of the Ardents and Rekon 29ers in the 2.4 sizes might be okay, I'm not sure, looking for some feedback.
True. As a matter of fact, my 2.6 DHF is only 50 grams heavier than my 2.3 DHF in the same letter combo, so it must be that the sidewall - or something - is at least a little less robust, so even within models I bet it can vary. But, on the 2.3, the carcass and tread are about the same width whereas on the 2.6 the tread is wider than (and my protect) the carcass. Fortunately, I'm pretty easy on sidewalls.

Edit: that's on 30 mm inner width rims.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.