Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be camping in Kernville in the near future and was thinking about taking my son on an MTB ride.

Ideally, it would:

* Be near Kernville

* Have a drop-off point located on a good road

* Be mostly or all downhill

* Be suitable for beginners/low-intermediates

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
member: kv dirt daddies
382 Posts
I can't really think of anything up in Kernville that matches your needs. Most of the trails here are harder than you are looking for. There are some dirt roads that may work. I have taken my 8 year old son on an out and back on Shirley Loop road. We also go out to Camp 9 and ride along the lake. Old State road would be a long gentle downhill. I'm not sure what you mean by the Greenhorn Summit Loop.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey jfsh, how much snow did you guys get in the high country? I was thinking the Cannel trail would be in great shape this weekend, if you guys got more rain than snow...

M-80, You can go ride the Keyesville Classic race course. The ups are short so you can always hike up the hills. It is about 8 miles in length.

·
member: kv dirt daddies
382 Posts
It rained most of the day in Kernville yesterday and part of the night. The snow level was supposed to be around 7000'. The clouds have not cleared yet so I haven't been able to see up in the high country. I did see that the snow level was down to 5500' last night. I know Mammoth got over a foot of snow.

My guess is that the portions of trail at 8000' or above got enough snow that it will take a few days of nice weather to clear. I doubt it would be clear by Sunday. The plunge itself should be in prime shape this weekend but that doesn't help much if it is hard to get to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.