Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this comes up a lot, but I'm somewhat overwhelmed by all the wheel options out there and not entirely sure what I need. I'm thinking about getting a new set of wheels for my Karate Monkey as a birthday gift to myself and so I'm hoping the more knowledgeable members here can point me in the right direction.

Budget - $600-700
Wheel size - 29"
Riding - XC, rocks and roots but no big drops/jumps
Rider weight - 150 lb
Bike is set up single speed
Durability is more important than weight
Should be tubeless compatible
Want something that will work well with high volume tires (2.4 Maxxis Ardents currently)

The current wheels are laced to Surly Ultra New Hubs, I'd be fine with lacing new rims to them if that would work. They are only a half season old, so pretty low miles.

Anyone have any suggestions for something that would fit the bill? Thanks in advance.

-Brian

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I was just thinking about this. I like traditional 32-spoke 3-cross wheels. I think Handspun does something with a decent hub and a couple different Stan's rims. Get a quote on that. Whichever the wider one is.

Get some quotes on loose rims from DT and ENVE. $300 each might be carbon rims. :D You'll need new spokes, but that's on the order of $80 if you're just doing DT Comps.

What rims do you have now?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now I think they are WTB Speed Discs. I got the bike as a complete build, overall really happy with how it rides but wouldn't mind dropping a little weight and being able to drop the tire pressure a bit more.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,245 Posts
At 150# the Pacenti TL28 should do quite well. They are 450g, 23mm internal width, and use a tubeless ready shape. Lace those up with some nice butted spokes and alloy nipples to your existing hubs. Then go out and get yourself a nice White Industries freewheel with some of your spare change.

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
You're generally better off getting a new wheelset instead of taking apart a perfectly good wheelset. In your price range you have a lot of options for an exceptional wheelset. Rims from Pacenti, NoTubes or WTB are good choice. The tires that you want to use can make the difference here. If you're using a UST tire or one with a UST bead I lean toward the WTB Frequency rims, though the Pacenti's should work. Mounting a UST tire on a NoTubes 29er rim is next to impossible.

Hope Hubs are a great value as are White Industries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.