Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to buy an SLR seat on PricePoint, but they ran out of stock.

I want a light seat, around $100, that I can get here in America...(a lot of the sub 100g seats I tried to track down apparently aren't available here). I know the really light weight seats get expensive, but older discontinued seats are fine too.

The SLR I almost got was advertised at 135g.

It's for a soft tail mtn bike, so I'm not concerned with comfort.

What do you weight weenies recommend?

Thanks,

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the SLR Ti. I like it. It is comfortable, but compared to to the Flite Ti, I do have a couple of gripes:

1.) Wish the nose is slightly angled down and padded. The SLR's nose can catch on the shorts when the rider tries to get back on the seat after an out-of-saddle effort. A padded nose helps on those weird inclines when one can neither stand nor sit when climbing.

2.) The Kelvar™ side panels of the Flite Ti helps in longevity.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I've tried the SLR XP (165gms) and SLR T1 Gel (without the kevlar bumper @ 190gms) but ended up going back to the trusty old Flite Ti. The issue I had with the basic SLR was the edges of the seat are not very comfy when you're gripping the nose of the seat with your thighs when you're manouevring out of the saddle. And the nose of the saddle is good at snagging shorts (if you wear bib shorts it might be less of an issue).

The SLR T1 triathalon version has the padded nose with the gel, so the nose is shaped to be less prone to short snagging, but the sit bone area has less padding that the XP model, and it was just below the minimum comfort threshold to keep it on the bike.

They're both sitting in the spare parts pile these days.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I rode a Flite Ti for years, and thought it was a little hard on the boys. I then tried a Titec Pluto Ti, and found it was much more comfortable (has a cut out for pressure relief). In my weight weenie madness, I bought a Tioga Spyder, and half expected it to be as bad or worse than the Flite Ti, but lo and behold, its nearly as comfortable as the Titec, and much lighter (140 grams on my scale at home). I have no trouble with it grabbing at my shorts when going from out of the saddle to seated, etc... It is reported to be a little on the flimsy side, but I've yet to have any trouble with durability.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read the reviews of that seat (spyder) on mtbr here and it got a few very bad reviews. How long have you been riding it? And are you using it on your MTB?

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
SLR and Aspides for roadie action atm. Flite Ti, Flite TransAm, and Flite TTs on the mtbs. Guess I like Flites. ;)

I love the SLR regarding its ride(did two 7hr mtn roadie centuries recently on one), but the sharp edges catch spandex way too often when descending tech on the mtb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.