Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'd like to upgrade the wheelset on my motobecane fantom 29er to something lighter that i can run tubeless, along with a set of different tires. i've got a fat bike now for muddy days so i'd ideally like to optimize my 29er setup for speed on dry dirt and gravel.

i'd also like to take a crack at building the wheelset myself. i have a nice LBS that will help me out if i screw things up and i need a new project that will distract me from buying other toys...

any suggestions for a setup? any tips for an intermediate wrencher, first-time wheelbuilder?

budget - shoot for 500, less preferred, tires not included.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,437 Posts
DT Swiss Hubs and spokes with Mavic rims.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
i'd like to upgrade the wheelset on my motobecane fantom 29er to something lighter that i can run tubeless, along with a set of different tires. i've got a fat bike now for muddy days so i'd ideally like to optimize my 29er setup for speed on dry dirt and gravel.

i'd also like to take a crack at building the wheelset myself. i have a nice LBS that will help me out if i screw things up and i need a new project that will distract me from buying other toys...

any suggestions for a setup? any tips for an intermediate wrencher, first-time wheelbuilder?

budget - shoot for 500, less preferred, tires not included.
Check out Bike Hub Store, their hubs are made by Bitex and are solid. They sell a nice tubeless rim called the TL450 or they also sell Pacenti and Velocity tubeless rims. And they sell Sapim spokes and nipples.

For a first build here is a recommended package.
-MTB 162 32 hole front hub
-MTB 252 32 hole rear hub
-BHS TL450 rims
-32 288mm and 32 290mm Sapim Race spokes
-Brass nipples

This comes to around $300-$310 depending on spoke and nipple color. You will also want to get a XT level cassette for the alloy freehub body.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm a fan of DT Swiss hubs, either 350 or 240 (if you want to splurge on the cost).
DT Swiss Bladed spokes or Sapim Race Spokes
Sapim Brass nipples
Light-bike carbon hoops, Stans Arch or Crest hoops, or even DT Swiss hoops all are good choice depending on your budget.

Bike Hub Store looks pretty good or Prowheelbuilder.com or Lacemine29.com are good online wheel websites.

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
A Dt star ratchet rear hub like a 350 and a light front hub with Supercomp or Sapim Laser spokes, brass nips and ArchEx rims or LB wide carbon on the front at least. The Park TM-1 tension gauge will make it fun.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I agree with the Whisperer. The stuff from bike hub store is solid and Brandon is the best. It's pretty hard to beat his prices on spokes and nipples. I've built up several sets of wheels with Sapim Race and brass nipples, they've been easy to work with and bulletproof.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Shimano 529 hubset, WTB Frequency and sapim spokes 14-15 from dan's comp. Low dollar, reliable, light rim, build easy. did I say light, low dollar, reliable.......

·
Registered
456 Posts
Also a satisfied BHS customer, that set was my 3rd DIY build.
The MTB 252 worked out well for me. Used with 32H Stans ZTR Flow rims and Sapim Race spokes. Takes some moderate XC hardtail abuse and still true after 1 year.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hope Pro 2 hubs 32 hole with ZTR Arch rims!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the input guys - can anyone comment on thru axle vs. QR? it seems like thru-axle is preferred for mtb hubs (at least in front?) because it will align with the disc caliper every time and is generally more solid. i haven't had an issue with QR thus far... i'm learning so your suggestions are much appreciated. thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts