Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Happy holidays and all that stuff. I will be in the Detroit area for a couple weeks at Xmas time and will be building a bike up before flying back to Europe. I was wondering if anyone would recommend a shop with great service or even better a really good wrench. I would like to have someone that really knows what they are doin work on the bike as I just wont have the time.

I will actually be in the Mt Clemens / New Baltimore area but would travel an hour or so if you know someplace really good. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
449 Posts
There are good ones all over

Fraser bike and fitness is at 15 mile and utica rd. -- they are probably the closest. They are good but I felt like I got some attitude from them when I brought in a bike for them to build up for me that I did not buy there.

Continental Bike shop in Hazel Park gets High marks. Thats where I have been going lately. They are on John R. rd just south of I-696.

Macomb bike is also in the area - Schenerror (sp) rd south of 12 mile rd.

There are plenty of others, but these are the main places I have dealt with.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The closest would probably be the place on Gratiot north of Metro Parkway....I can't think of the name of it and I have no idea if the mechanics are any good.

The best that I know of would be either Continental that was mentioned above or Cycle and Fitness on Washington in Royal Oak, just north of 696. If you go to Continental ask for Travis, he's a good mechanic.

I just though of one more....D and D bikes in Berkley on 12 Mile. They have a good mechanic too. He's a bit eccentric but he knows alot of obscure things about older bikes and whatnot if that matters to you at all. I can't remember his name, but he is an older black guy that seems to be there 24/7.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Maybe Flint

Not sure exactly where you're going to be, but I've found Assenmacher's in Flint (the schwartz creek shop actually) to be more than competent. The manager there, Steve, is a good guy, and I would feel comfortable having him assemble a bike even though I typically assemble all my own and friend's bikes... Should be around an hour plus or minus from the sinkhole that is detroit...

If I were going to be around, I would be more than happy to help, but I'm heading up north for the week between holidays.

Plum

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Plum said:
Not sure exactly where you're going to be, but I've found Assenmacher's in Flint (the schwartz creek shop actually) to be more than competent. The manager there, Steve, is a good guy, and I would feel comfortable having him assemble a bike even though I typically assemble all my own and friend's bikes... Should be around an hour plus or minus from the sinkhole that is detroit...

If I were going to be around, I would be more than happy to help, but I'm heading up north for the week between holidays.

Plum
Yeah Assenmacher's is cool. I almost died there once lol. True story.

Detroit a sinkhole? Did the salt mines finally collapse? Just kidding.

I like to think of it as more of a sh1thole.

·
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the answers...

Good stuff! Have not lived in the area for more than 12 years now. I would really like to build it up myseslf but only get home to see the family and old friends maybe once a year so that is why I will have someone else do it. It also doesnt make sense to take the pieces back and have them built up where I live since there would be a slight language barrier.

Feel free to add anyplace else. Thanks for the good suggestions, I will check out a couple of those places and then leave it where ever I get the best vibe.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anchor bay bike shop in New Baltimore. John there is about as good of a mechanic as there is. He has been fixing bikes since the 70's and he really knows his stuff. His shop is on 23 mile rd just west of downtown New Baltimore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know your probably not in the area anymore, but maybe this info will be usefull for somebody else... Hamilton Bikes on Main Street in Richmond (about 15 minutes north of New Baltimore) has a great, friendly shop. The guys that work there/run the place seem to have a real passion for bicycles and are very knowledgable.

They also generally have much better prices than the Anchor Bay Bike Shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.