Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a slick that will work well with my wide dyad rim in the front and a dt swiss tk 7.1 in the rear.

I don't really want the schwalbe big apple since it weighs so much and the bike will primarily be used as a very long haul bike(double century type stuff)

I guess I want something in the high 30s for size for a little bit of comfort but nothing too fat.

Thanks for any help!
 

·
bike geek
Joined
·
1,051 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:
I'm trying to find a slick that will work well with my wide dyad rim in the front and a dt swiss tk 7.1 in the rear.

I don't really want the schwalbe big apple since it weighs so much and the bike will primarily be used as a very long haul bike(double century type stuff)

I guess I want something in the high 30s for size for a little bit of comfort but nothing too fat.

Thanks for any help!
I just threw some Soma New Xpress 700x32 on my recently acquired Il Pompino and I like the looks of them. I wanted an aggressive "urban" tread pattern and black sidewalls. First ride on them will be this afternoon. They come in 700x35 also. Steel or Kevlar bead.

http://www.somafab.com/tires.html
 

·
Duckin' Fonuts.
Joined
·
297 Posts
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=121&subcategory=1255&sku=8377&brand=

Get a set of these. They ride great, look great, have a thick tread, can run up to 90 psi for speed or a load, and Shazam they ar only $9.99. It is all I have used for two years. Actually I think I am on my original set, They work off road if it is smooth too. I want to try a set of the Vittoria Randoneurs, but it is hard to beat the 737's
 

·
zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nonracerrichie said:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=121&subcategory=1255&sku=8377&brand=

Get a set of these. They ride great, look great, have a thick tread, can run up to 90 psi for speed or a load, and Shazam they ar only $9.99. It is all I have used for two years. Actually I think I am on my original set, They work off road if it is smooth too. I want to try a set of the Vittoria Randoneurs, but it is hard to beat the 737's
Looks great, thanks for the suggestion. Can't beat the price...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
I've got 37c WTB slickasaurus's on my Cross-Check. Rides nice. As a bonus they've got a reflective stripe on the sidewall that helps make you more visible in low light conditions. I got mine from Nashbar a while back for like $14 each.
 

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
Joined
·
3,910 Posts
lanpope said:
If you can find them...Continental Top Touring.

I love them and they are tough.

LP
I bought a pair of folding ones and used them for an almost-century last year and they held up fine. I took them off soon after and shelved them, then decided to put them back on earlier this month. They kept blowing off the rim and the tube explodes (3 times in the front and twice in the rear). Luckily, it was always after I finished a ride. Any idea why this is happening? I'm ready to throw these expensive tires in the trash :mad:

BTW, the rims are Mavic Open Pro and the beads look fine (visibly).
 

·
zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drevil said:
I bought a pair of folding ones and used them for an almost-century last year and they held up fine. I took them off soon after and shelved them, then decided to put them back on earlier this month. They kept blowing off the rim and the tube explodes (3 times in the front and twice in the rear). Luckily, it was always after I finished a ride. Any idea why this is happening? I'm ready to throw these expensive tires in the trash :mad:

BTW, the rims are Mavic Open Pro and the beads look fine (visibly).
good to know. nashbar has a pretty extensive selection, including the tires you have, and i'm unsure which to get.

i want fast rolling like a typical high end 23c and some look pretty gummy with tread.
 

·
Squalor
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
Drevil said:
I bought a pair of folding ones and used them for an almost-century last year and they held up fine. I took them off soon after and shelved them, then decided to put them back on earlier this month. They kept blowing off the rim and the tube explodes (3 times in the front and twice in the rear). Luckily, it was always after I finished a ride. Any idea why this is happening? I'm ready to throw these expensive tires in the trash :mad:

BTW, the rims are Mavic Open Pro and the beads look fine (visibly).
Whoa - I've got no idea. I'm using mine on Open Pros right now too. I've got probably 3000 miles on my set and I have never even had a flat. They are starting to look ragged, but they are holding up. Those things are ridiculous tight on my rims, I could not imagine them blowing off. Hell, I had to use two levers to get them on.

Don't throw them in the trash - I'll buy them from you if you are ready to dump them. I heard Continental has replaced the Top Touring with the Contact which is supposed to be a lesser quality tire. I am now stockpiling the Top Touring...

You using Velox? I don't know if that will make a difference....the only thing I can think of.

Good Luck,

LP
 

·
lord of my world
Joined
·
353 Posts
Panaracer Pasela w/Tour Guard 700x37, I run Panaracer T-Serv 700x28 on my Cross-Check now and they run wide with my Deep -V's, They are actually wider than my Pasela 700x32's were, but they only go up to 700x35, may be that's wide enough for you. They are pretty much the same tire but the Pasela has a skinwall wher as the t-serv is all black. and the are way lighter than Contis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
I second the Panaracer Paselas

I am running 32s on my cross bike and love them. I ride mostly dirt roads and see no need for wider but you can get them bigger.
 

·
zeebot
Joined
·
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
number2 said:
check out Rivendell tires heard alot of good things about them.
The ruffy tuffy looks very nice. Pricey. I think I may go with those and some of the cheaper panaracers that are wider to see what works best
 

·
Recovering couch patato
Joined
·
14,017 Posts
The longer the haul, the thicker I'd choohse my tires, for comfort. I'm more of a 15-minute miracle than an endurance type, but have done at least one mile-century on the Big Apples, and they definately hlped my soft lazy ass get through it. It's also pure fun how I get to take short cuts like I would on an XC bike. When a cyclepath continues on the other side of a road, I don't take the two shart 90º turn, but cut across the grass shoulders and curbs without losing momentum.
I rode up Alpe d'Huez with Big Apples in 68min iwth a silly long warmup on the first cycling day in weeks, and didn't feel like they were holding me back (down). Comparing rolling resistance to friends on 23c professional road racing tires, I'm not losing out, really. Over 45km/h perhaps air drag becomes unfavorable.

I've now done 2 weeks of straight commuting (10mi single trip) on the SS 42x16 Cross-Check with 2.0 Apples, and one week on the geared Fisher with creaky ISIS and frankengears, 2.35" Apples. The 2.35" actually give a higher top speed down a tunnel I cross, where I let the bike find it's terminal speed where air drag+rolling resistance cancel out my lazy ass's weight. Odd, as I roll over 42km/h there, 44km/h for the 2.35's, you'd expect air drag to become a bigger factor. My aero position on the Fisher with trekking bars may just be better.

In short : slick tires are the only place in cycling where bigger really always seems better to me.

Before the BA's, I rolled Continental Sport Contacts in 35 or 37. They felt like they rolled super fast, and they were like 540g I seem to remember. Not the grip I was looking for on wet pavement though, I never dared push. I a straight line they were awesome, but definately less comfortable than the BA's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
yes - apples are good for you

I just got a second big apple to squeez into my Xcheck. The weight is substantial but not much more so than some specialized hybrid 38's.

clearence is tight but the ride is cush

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top