Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Wannabe
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone recommend a decent road tire. I am planning a fairly long trek (approx 100KM) on the highway and would like a decent, low resistance and fairly light tire for the ride and other road rides I might take. I have no clue about these kinds of tires ie: whats a good thickness, how much tread if any etc.

I am not looking to spend too much either so long term durability isn't a huge issue.

C

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,490 Posts
Psiclonik said:
Could anyone recommend a decent road tire. I am planning a fairly long trek (approx 100KM) on the highway and would like a decent, low resistance and fairly light tire for the ride and other road rides I might take. I have no clue about these kinds of tires ie: whats a good thickness, how much tread if any etc.

I am not looking to spend too much either so long term durability isn't a huge issue.

C
Since this is an mtb forum, I'm going to guess you need a 26" slick for mtb rims. I put Ritchey Tom Slicks on a hardtail for road use this spring. The 26x1.4's I got are listed as 400gr, or you could go down to 26x1.0 at 300gr, but if you're touring with a load, I go with at least 1.25" wide tires. I did a couple 50+ mile rides on mine, and they never felt heavy or sluggish. I got them on sale at Performance for $17 each. If you look around, you might also find a 10% or 20% off coupon for Performance. They have them out from time to time, and the "Where's the Best Deals?" board ususaly has a post with the latest.

Have a good trip!
Kathy :^)

·
Rope stretcher
38 Posts
High psi. is the way to go

you will find that most slicks are pretty cheap. In my experience you want a high psi tire (80 plus) 1" to 1.5". I have used many tires over the years I like advocet cross K they have an inverted tread that handles suprisingly well on dirt/gravel roads and still feels fast on true pavement. Tom Slicks are good too the 1" @100psi is Fast!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.