Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for economical front wheel(pre built?) with a 20mm hub, thats lightweight too?

any suggestions? I'm moving to a reba with maxle light and require a wheel asap- thx

·
Registered
217 Posts
Pretty sure new XT hubs can be had with 20mm TA front, but might be Centerlock rotors only.

I saw a Marz 20mm TA hub laced to a rim I can't remember on The Bay about a week or two ago. I think it sold under a $100.

Bombproof (but more expensive option):

Hadley/Flow or Hadley/Gordo

·
lazy rider
11 Posts
Check out Stans (notubes.com), you can get the Hope Pro II 20mm TA front laced up to whichever rims you want. I'm not sure if you can just get a front wheel, I'd try calling them, I'm sure they'd be willing to take your money for just a front.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you go notubes.com (go to their website they have a wheel weight calculator and cutom wheel builder that works pretty well in ie compatible browsers ) they can build you a wheel at about 190.00 bucks for their ztr rims + the convertable heavy duty ztr 20mm front hub that I imagine is really solid at around 174 grams weight for the hub. Or, with a Hope 2 20mm it is +70 bucks and hub weighs in around 190 grams.
They have built me great wheels a couple of times in the last couple of years, but as a rule I always retension my wheels now no matter who builds them.
Both are easily convertable. I don't have any experience short or long time on the ztr hubs (there is a thread...), but my Hope 2 front hub 20mm on my Reba has been trouble free for years.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
longdrive55 said:
Pretty sure new XT hubs can be had with 20mm TA front, but might be Centerlock rotors only.

I saw a Marz 20mm TA hub laced to a rim I can't remember on The Bay about a week or two ago. I think it sold under a $100.

Bombproof (but more expensive option):

Hadley/Flow or Hadley/Gordo
thanks I keep a look out on the bay...but I gotta tell ya- there must be a bunch of 29er guys poaching on the Bay...now you see it, now you don't!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sasquatch1413 said:
XT hubs are only available with center lock. I went with a hope hub and have had no issues. You can build up a custom wheel at universalcycles.com or try bicyclewheelwarehouse.com.
actually centerlocks would work great..thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hub size for custom 29" wheel 20mm thru axle

I like the advice about ordering from Universal. First question on their site was what size hub (I only need a front wheel). It's for a Manitou Minute 29" with a 20mm thru axle. Any idea whether it's a 100, 110 or 135mm? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just bought a front only 20mm wheel. I went with a Hope2/Arch Ex from Merlin Cycles. $190. Stan's front only wheels can be had from their site. If you want an Arch Ex rim, you're cheapest option is $230, but make sure you add the HD hub as the 3.30 hubs are not 20mm compatible. You'll also pay $20 for shipping from them. You can also look for a used Stans Flow front which comes stock with the HD hubs. Not sure how heavy you are, but a Hope2/Crest from Wiggle would also be a good match provided you're light weight. All Hope2's are 20mm capable. You can also look for a a wheel build around an X.9 hub which comes in a 20mm version.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.