Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MassiveAttack
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding on the Speacialized Oll Tires that came with my Epic. They've worked pretty well, but slide a bit to much and dont have too much grip.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the control of tires but decided to move to a wider tire. I went in to a shop today and picked up a set of WTB Wierwolf 2.3's. As soon as I got them on.. I went for a ride on alocal trail...

I was initially impressed with the grip and the smoothness. However the ride down a sigle track was not what I expected. There seem to be no feel while cutting turns down the trail.... (Like there was no grip or the tire would slip when rubbing against a rock or dirt when agled).

So I'm wondering what a good tire would be? I like the feel I get from the ROll Tires from Specialized but I like the grip of these tires. Should it be a wise choice to go back down to 2.0 or 2.1? Or is there a wide tire that would give more feel and not slip when leaned.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I had a Wierwolf 2.5 on the front of my trail/xc bike for 2 years, and it worked very well in most conditions - lots of rocky/rooty trails around here, occasionally wet, not bad in the snow either. I found it a bit slippy on wet roots/rocks, but not too bad (fairly predictable), and it really works great on the front in loose conditions. These should be tons better than the Rollx tires! Your complaint of "There seem to be no feel while cutting turns down the trail.... (Like there was no grip or the tire would slip when rubbing against a rock or dirt when agled)." is unusual for this tire, most folks praise its cornering/off camber hold on rocks and loose conditions (that's where the big knobs are, not in the middle). You didn't say what pressures you tried, I usually ran it 25-30psi, (I'm 150lbs). Make sure you mount the front in the right direction, and most folks seem to find the rear mounted backwards gives the best climbing traction.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
"making the scene with the gangsta lean"

massiveattack said:
I've been riding on the Speacialized Oll Tires that came with my Epic. They've worked pretty well, but slide a bit to much and dont have too much grip.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the control of tires but decided to move to a wider tire. I went in to a shop today and picked up a set of WTB Wierwolf 2.3's. As soon as I got them on.. I went for a ride on alocal trail...

I was initially impressed with the grip and the smoothness. However the ride down a sigle track was not what I expected. There seem to be no feel while cutting turns down the trail.... (Like there was no grip or the tire would slip when rubbing against a rock or dirt when agled).

So I'm wondering what a good tire would be? I like the feel I get from the ROll Tires from Specialized but I like the grip of these tires. Should it be a wise choice to go back down to 2.0 or 2.1? Or is there a wide tire that would give more feel and not slip when leaned.

Thanks in Advance.
i use either a 2.35 fat albert or a 2.5 weirwolf up front. i use about 35psi and find i get the best traction out of the weirwolf using 35 psi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.