Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you recharge the internal chamber of a '04 TALAS fork?

Fox says you need their tool or even a football/ basketball/soccer ball needle can be used. All you have to do is take the top cap off and insert the needle. Fox said their guys doeas in in less than 30 minutes. What sucks, is there is no dealer near me.

Thanks.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
ya im pretty sure endurowanker is right in that you have to send it to either of those place. i dont think even your lbs is supposed to work on the TALAS.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the same, only Fox or PUSH should touch it, but the guy at Fox said if I had the special Fox pump, I could do it myself. Now getting them to expalin how to is another thing. The guy I talked to basically said that he answers the phones while the techs don't. He didn't know how to do it exactly. He has just seen it done.

Anyone got the special Fox pump?

Thanks.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
CU-Murph said:
I thought the same, only Fox or PUSH should touch it, but the guy at Fox said if I had the special Fox pump, I could do it myself. Now getting them to expalin how to is another thing. The guy I talked to basically said that he answers the phones while the techs don't. He didn't know how to do it exactly. He has just seen it done.

Anyone got the special Fox pump?

Thanks.
Man I don't know, sounds a bit like you talked to someone that didn't really know what was going on. I've had a TALAS for about 6 months now, and have been reading these boards for years and have never heard of anyone recharging the TALAS side with a pump themselves. I believe the TALAS side is nitrogen charged.

I'm not sure what the "special" Fox pump is, but I have a Fox pump that came with my TALAS and all it does it air up the TALAS side. Are you sure that the cust. service guy on the phone wasn't just telling you to set the air spring with a shock pump?

I've ALWAYS heard/read that users are not advised to break into the TALAS side of the fork.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Fox reps seemed to think it was okay to fill it back with just air. (Air is ~60% nitrogen any way, right?) Just need Fox's special needle pump, which you can buy for only $40. You can use a normal ball inflating needle in a pinch, but you have to be VERY carefull. If you press the needle in too far, you risk busting a seal underneath the area where the needle is supposed to stop. I wonder if anyone sales a tool like Fox's?

Thing is, they said I wouldn't be touching the internals of the TALAS, just removing the top cap to get to the port for the needle pump. So I wouldn't have to worry about the rest of the TALAS. Am I missing something, or did they not tell me something?

Compressed nitrogen is fun to play with. As long as you have a good regulator, it easy. I used it all the time at work. But true, you need experience to safely use it.

Anyway, I sent the fork back to FOX. Let them handle it, and leaky oil seals while the fork is still under warranty.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Fox reps seemed to think it was okay to fill it back with just air. (Air is ~60% nitrogen any way, right?) Just need Fox's special needle pump, which you can buy for only $40. You can use a normal ball inflating needle in a pinch, but you have to be VERY carefull. If you press the needle in too far, you risk busting a seal underneath the area where the needle is supposed to stop. I wonder if anyone sales a tool like Fox's?

Thing is, they said I wouldn't be touching the internals of the TALAS, just removing the top cap to get to the port for the needle pump. So I wouldn't have to worry about the rest of the TALAS. Am I missing something, or did they not tell me something?

Compressed nitrogen is fun to play with. As long as you have a good regulator, it easy. I used it all the time at work. But true, you need experience to safely use it.

Anyway, I sent the fork back to FOX. Let them handle it, and leaky oil seals while the fork is still under warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.