Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Relatively new to the whole All-Mountain and Suspension biking. I currently ride an '05 Specialized Hardrock Sport. Had a shock question. I was wondering what you guys would reccomend on upgrading my front fork. I am bigger guy (6 ft 1 about 290) and I was wondering what would be a good heavy duty fork so to speak.I don't do any crazy riding or jumping but I just think this stock fork is a little too weak to support my weight when riding along the trails! Just wondering what you'd reccomend without spending too much money, this is an upgrade that I'd do over the winter just dont wanna have to change the whole bike around. Any advice or help would be awesome. Thanks Guys!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
T, have a look at the Marzocchi All Mountain series. If you don't mind buying a new wheel you can go for the AM2 with the bolt-thru 20mm axle - it's a stronger & stiffer setup, but costs more. Otherwise, you can bolt the AM3 straight on. 140mm travel, and pretty good value.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
TCogley said:
Hey Guys,

Relatively new to the whole All-Mountain and Suspension biking. I currently ride an '05 Specialized Hardrock Sport. Had a shock question. I was wondering what you guys would reccomend on upgrading my front fork. I am bigger guy (6 ft 1 about 290) and I was wondering what would be a good heavy duty fork so to speak.I don't do any crazy riding or jumping but I just think this stock fork is a little too weak to support my weight when riding along the trails! Just wondering what you'd reccomend without spending too much money, this is an upgrade that I'd do over the winter just dont wanna have to change the whole bike around. Any advice or help would be awesome. Thanks Guys!!!
Your bike has a 3 or 4 inch fork on there now? You'd probably want to get either a Fox Vanilla (older model, set to 100mm or so) or a Rock Shox Revelation on there (adjustable travel). If you're budget conscious a Recon or a Tora would work (just make sure you get the model with motion control damper). A Pike would be fantastic too, since you can adjust travel on those forks and a 20mm through axle would be money, but that would require you get a new front wheel or get your current one rebuilt with a 20mm through axle hub.

_MK

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
at 290 lbs, i'd think you'd be better off with a rigid cromoly... and stay on the road until you get into better shape... unless you're ok with bending cranks, pedals, wheels, fork, frame, seatpost, saddle...

if your existing fork is a coil spring fork, you can get a stiffer spring for it. if it's an air fork, make sure it's rated to support your kind of weight. if it's an elastomer fork, ditch it.

seriously, how much dirt riding can you handle? you get a better aerobic workout from road riding than dirt, you can ride longer and harder with less equipment hassles... can be boring, but spending alotta dough on gear that may not withstand your weight or will simply not be used to potential...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drunkle said:
at 290 lbs, i'd think you'd be better off with a rigid cromoly... and stay on the road until you get into better shape... unless you're ok with bending cranks, pedals, wheels, fork, frame, seatpost, saddle...

if your existing fork is a coil spring fork, you can get a stiffer spring for it. if it's an air fork, make sure it's rated to support your kind of weight. if it's an elastomer fork, ditch it.

seriously, how much dirt riding can you handle? you get a better aerobic workout from road riding than dirt, you can ride longer and harder with less equipment hassles... can be boring, but spending alotta dough on gear that may not withstand your weight or will simply not be used to potential...
i dont necesscarilt do only dirt riding i do like cross country where ill throw in a little downhill and uphill rocky traill. i havet hit anythign that hard where ive bent stuff but i mean i see guys bigger then me riding specliazed hard tails so i mean i dont see why not.

anyway which of thses shocks are availabe for non disc brake bikes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P.S. after reading this post again i also realized ur a dick, whether u were trying to be or not. Its not really any of ur business what is a better work out for me. I didnt ask about bending wheels cranks pedals or anything, i asked about a fork reccomendation but thanks for throwing ur insults in there i really appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.