Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Green Machine
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the wheel and tire section but figured you guys might have some good input as well being I ride in norcal (bay area to be more specific).

I need some help from you tire gurus. I'm looking to try some new tires. Currently I have a WTB Weirwolf 2.5 in the front and a WTB Motoraptor 2.4 in the back. Love the Motoraptor, the Weirwolf I only like in certain conditions (softer or damp soil).

I was going to pick up another Motoraptor Competition w/ the DNA rubber, but can't find any in either the 2.4 or 2.24 sizes and I dont' want to go any smaller. (Why didn't I just buy more of these when Performance was selling them for $25! )

So can anyone tell me either a: where to pick up a motoraptor 2.4 or 2.24 comp at a reputable store.

Or b: a tire similar to the Motoraptor. It needs to be a larger high volume tire, preferably w/ a nice aggressive tread, and also would be nice if it were around $30. Also, I prefer rounder profile tires to square profile.
And yes, I'm picky.

·
The Green Machine
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard a few people mention that they feel a square profile tire corners better. Is there any particular reason for that? It seems like a round profile tire would transition from straight line to cornering better than a square ..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
stripes said:
Ask The Law ;)

I've run Maxxis Advents in the past which are pretty nice and round. A lot of people like the Nevegals too.

I'm running square profile tires, but that's because I slip out on the round ones so much.
Hey stripes, how were the ardents for norcal?

*end thread hijack*

·
padded
705 Posts
I get mine at Passion Trail Bikes in Belmont - bought one there a couple of months ago. I love the Moto Raptor 2.4 - great all around tire, altho it doesn't shed mud very well, which is a problem I solve by not riding in the mud :D

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Might want to check out a Kenda Blue Groove for an all-round front tire that comes in a 2.35 or 2.5 if I recall. Everyone I know that likes a burlier tire in front likes that tire EVERYWHERE.

·
The Green Machine
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any pics of them on your bike?

I ride an '06 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. The 2.5 Weirwolf BARELY fit on the rear. If I decide to go with the Ardents, do you think I could squeeze that 2.4 in the rear? I'm not a fan (cosmetically) of too much of a visual difference between front and rear tire width. I figure the fatter heavier tire will just make me that much more fit anyway.

Maybe I'll see you at C.C. sometime.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
My only reservation for the Ardents is how well they would dig in when in deeper mud - they don't have much knob height and with the width would tend to "float" on the top with the knobs not getting in deep enough to give much directional control, or thrust. For everything else I think that the Ardent looks like a great tire and I can't wait to try one or two out next spring on my 29". The MK is supposed to be a GREAT damp/wet condition tire, and with rounder casing and the taller knobs would dig in well. In dry conditions I have heard that they are sorta weak for conering grip - but I haven't ridden them yet. Don't worry about tires being different sizes - but tend towards the larger tire on front - the rear can dig in deeper if it is narrower, letting more of the side knobs grab in loose or wet conditions. I almost always run two different tires on my bikes, as the front and rear have different jobs to do.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Square profile tires, in my opinion, require you to be comfortable "trusting your bike" in the turns. Most square profile tires ask you to quickly lean your bike into a turn, rather than "carving." This sensation can be mediated a bit depending on the spacing of the transition nobs that are placed between the edge nobs and center nobs.

Right now, I run a Specialized Enduro up front, but I will be switching. I'm not confident enough to "throw my bike into a turn" and need something with either more transition nobs, or a rounder profile. I'm thinking Nevegal. Hope that helps a bit.

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
littleblue said:
I need some help from you tire gurus. I'm looking to try some new tires. Currently I have a WTB Weirwolf 2.5 in the front and a WTB Motoraptor 2.4 in the back. Love the Motoraptor, the Weirwolf I only like in certain conditions (softer or damp soil).
I have one each of Nevegal and Rampage, new in 2.35 size. I'm not a business; I'm a rider.
You can have one of them if you're in Santa Cruz this wknd or San Jose-ish on Monday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.