·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from everything i've been reading, here's what it get from you guys here:

if i want a decent bike in the $300-500 range,

IH on randall scott is good, and has better suspension than the:

Ibex ht, which is good too, and has better components than the IH

these bikes are good, but i'd sacrifice the bonuses that the lbs can offer, like the tune-ups, etc.

here in so. utah, i can find at the local shops the following bikes:

kona blast (good bike, doesn't have disc brakes which i want)
specialized hardrock disc
gt avalanche
raleigh 5.0
diamondback response
jamis low end
trek 4500 (i think)

or i could put more money into the gt tempest that i ride now. i currently need a new shock. but to get a decent shock, i'd be spending close to $400 which could get me one of the above mentioned bikes.

any insight? i'm 6'0'' 200lbs. and ride about 50 miles a week mixed mtn and commute

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Take a look @ ebay for new bikes but are 04/05/06 models.
but looking @ an lbs.. all the brands will pretty much price the same, but I would avoid diamondback and raleigh ( personal pref).

Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher will be the priciest most of the time..
I like GT, Kona, Jamis..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the kona blast is 599, which is about 100 over where i want to be and takes me into a new price zone.

the bike shop told me that the gt avalanche 2.0 is the 2007, but from researching it, i can see that its an 06. this should give me some wiggle room on the price, right? how much should i expect to get them to come down? if i can get them to come down on last year's model, i'll probably go that route.

i can't remember what jamis model they have. would the $400ish model be any good?

so raleigh and diamondback are out?

what about trek 4300 or 4500 (if i can get one with a disc?)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
holy ****! i just checked ebay again and saw that i can get the bikes they have in the local shops for about 2/3 the prices! wow. i have done a lot of ebay searches, but only for local used ones! thanks for the advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.