Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, I am well aware that it would most likely be cheaper to buy a new bike. You will understand why I want to build it out.

Here is the backstory

I bought a Mongoose NX DH back in 2000 in Bakersfield, California for my 26th Birthday. I have always owned Jamis Mountain bikes however when I went looking for one I came up empty, so someone suggested a Mongoose Mountain Bike, Found a store in LA that sold them and I found the one I wanted A NX DH, it was slightly more expensive then I planned on spending, but it didn't take me long to realize it was worth every single penny. It was my first Mongoose, but not my last. I fell in love with it on my first ride.

I used it to go back and forth to work and go trail riding on the mountains that were around Bakersfield and my biking style has always been a bit rough.

On September 5th 2001 I was told I had to be in Manhattan to assist with a network overhaul. And after that I was on 2 weeks vacation. So I decided to drive across country and see the sights and maybe go exploring on my bike. I got to New York on the night of the 9th and was staying with a friend in Manhattan. On the 10th I decided to bike around and check out Manhattan being the last time I was there was in 1986. That was a whole interesting experience in and unto it'self. That night I biked to the job and I locked my bike up at the Bike rack, Took the seat off and went inside.

It was the 14th Floor of One World Trade center.

Started at about 9PM and was just finishing up when Flight 11 hit the building. I wasn't given the opportunity to fetch my bike. Needless to say we know what happen.

A few days later I started asking if I can get my bike when it was possible. I was told to call the PAPD and they could set it up. I called and they were understandably busy with other things so I left them my friends phone number so when they could get it someone would be there. Being it was next to 6 WTC I figured it would have been ok, just dusty. I got the call on the 14th and I went down there. At first I was told could take it with me. And then when I was going to unlock it I was told not to move it because of forensics. I ended up writing save on the top tube and told them to call me as soon as I can get it. She was NOT in good shape, Dusty, the frame look like it was sandblasted, front rim was bent and part of the tire look like it was put through a paper shredder, the rear rim was tacoed, Rear Derailleur was snapped, Left Crank arm was broken and the handlebars were mildly bent, The dust was almost the consistency of wet concrete and honestly I didn't think I would be able to get her back. I was told that the dust from the buildings collapsing and the debris coming from the buildings would have had enough force to do all that damage. A week went by and I got the call. I went back down there and you can tell that someone removed some of the wet dust. I unlocked her and had to use some force to get her out of the bike rack and got a cab a few blocks down and brought her to where I was staying.

Long story short the only thing for all intents and purposes that was salvageable was the frame. I was going to start buying parts to rebuild her, but life got in the way. a week ago I was looking at the frame and that is when i decided to rebuild her.

Yes, I know it would be much cheaper to buy a new one. However because of what this bike went through and where it was, I honestly cannot bring myself to throw her out. My question is this.

Where can I find the specs for all the parts. And I mean ALL the parts. As well as the type of paint and clearcoat to use. I have looked online to see if I could find a spec sheet, but to no avail. I have fixed bikes before, but never to this extent.

Sorry about the long windedness, but I felt the need to include some context.

·
Registered
981 Posts
you gotta post us a pic of this bike!!!! And I'm wondering if it's not better served to just hang on your wall as a piece of art. it has a great story behind it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have thought about it. I am moving to Tennessee and the house in question has a attached large Mother in law cottage that I am planning on turning into a "Man Cave". I will take a picture of the frame and post it in a few.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I'm in the camp of keeping it the way it is. good story behind it, plus it's had it's day. No guarantee those shocks are still servicable because of dust getting into them. Also will need to rebuild/relube everything.

Definately have to post pics though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me start by saying I am a longtime Mongoose mountain bike rider. Anyone that knows enough about mountain bikes will tell you that as long as you have a good frame you love everything else is replaceable. If you are mechanically inclined then you can save a ton of money rebuilding it yourself vs buying new and if you do it yourself you will gain the understanding of how everything is built and works and it will be much easier to repair or diagnose a problem. I took a mongoose dual suspension that most would have thrown away and stripped it down to the frame and started with that. I inspected the frame to make sure there were no problems areas and that it was good quality. Basically replaced everything on it with good quality parts for what they wanted at the local bike shop for starting price of a new one. Always be very careful at your local bike shop by the nice pretty paint and strips, look at the components on the bike because most are entry level and I am sorry but if I pay 700+ for a new bike it should come with more than a 9 dollar derailleur on the back or a 70 fork on the front. i have had my bike for over 12 years so I know what you mean by history with the bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I meant by history was in reference to 9/11, the fact that I was there in one of the towers and the indelible Mark that day put on all of us. To be truthful, I think I am going to mount it in a frame and put it on the wall. Have be part of my shrine. And I won't lie I am very tempted to put it back together and ride it one and maybe give it to a 9/11 memorial. I need to think about it though.

I will have the pictures later today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts