Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
phils said:
Does anyone know how to remove the pivots on a Manitou FS frame?

WOW! I just did this last night! I used an 11mm socket and a hammer. They come right out with a few hard hits. Or you could find a local machine shop with some sort of press to get them out.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
There's also a tool for it

I got my Manitou Fs when I worked in a shop, and we also ordered the tool. It was basically a long threaded rod, and you had a metal piece that fit perfectly on the bushing and would push it through the frame. You can probably easily make one, you just need to find the right size piece to push the bushing through.

Or go with fillet-brazed method.

Unless you live in Jersey and I'd pm you the shop that most likely still has the tool, as the owner never gets rid of anything. In fact, just out of curiosity, next time I stop by there, I'm going to check and see if its still in the same drawer as when I worked there, some 8 or so years ago. I'm sure the owner knows this is something I used to use, but has no idea exactly what it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So much for the socket

Well I got the top one out fairly easy. Beat the crap out of my socket and I still have to remove it from one of the cnc pieces on the seat stay. The pivot on the bottom did not even budge even with a 10lb sledge. I soaked it in wd-40 and still no luck. I think it is pretty seized up because it takes alot of force just to pivot the rear triangle (and I already have the shock off).

I think I am going to have to drill it out. Is there a place to buy a pivot to replace it or will I just have to have someone make me one?

I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
phils said:
Well I got the top one out fairly easy. Beat the crap out of my socket and I still have to remove it from one of the cnc pieces on the seat stay. The pivot on the bottom did not even budge even with a 10lb sledge. I soaked it in wd-40 and still no luck. I think it is pretty seized up because it takes alot of force just to pivot the rear triangle (and I already have the shock off).

I think I am going to have to drill it out. Is there a place to buy a pivot to replace it or will I just have to have someone make me one?

I appreciate all of your help.

Thanks

Phil
A 10 pound sledge? Yikes. Is your frame ok? :) Find someone with the right tool or maybe a bearing press and you should be able to get the bottom one out. Mine came out fairly easy with some decent blows of a regular hammer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
A 10 pound sledge? Yikes. Is your frame ok? :) Find someone with the right tool or maybe a bearing press and you should be able to get the bottom one out. Mine came out fairly easy with some decent blows of a regular hammer.
Yeah, frames still OK. But, after a few good hits with a regular hammer I did brake the screwdriver handle attachement on my socket set. How easily should the rear end pivot once the shock is removed. It is all I can do to get it to budge. and then it is not smooth at all.

I would like to rebuild the entire pivots with new bushings and all.

By the way, this frame is a salvage frame that I am trying to restore. I hate seeing these beautiful old frames trashed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
phils said:
Yeah, frames still OK. But, after a few good hits with a regular hammer I did brake the screwdriver handle attachement on my socket set. How easily should the rear end pivot once the shock is removed. It is all I can do to get it to budge. and then it is not smooth at all.

I would like to rebuild the entire pivots with new bushings and all.

By the way, this frame is a salvage frame that I am trying to restore. I hate seeing these beautiful old frames trashed.
You need a press or the correct tool. hammering a press-fit part is totally wrong, it will take a lot of force and probably mess it up.

A press will have it out easily. Seek out an engineering shop (I work in a university engineering dept and they have tools like this).

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
was8v said:
You need a press or the correct tool. hammering a press-fit part is totally wrong, it will take a lot of force and probably mess it up.

A press will have it out easily. Seek out an engineering shop (I work in a university engineering dept and they have tools like this).
If it had bearings I can see hammering it causing damage due to side loads but these are just nylon bushings. You cant hurt it if you know what youre doing. Its just a steel axle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.