Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found the Manitou service manual for rebuilding a Minute 3; but was wondering if there are any companies other than Manitou that does servicing. Any ideas?

Basically i think theres some kind of hydraulic lock going on inside, not sure but i'm only getting about 35-40mm of travel when I should be getting 130mm.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
misctwo said:
I've found the Manitou service manual for rebuilding a Minute 3; but was wondering if there are any companies other than Manitou that does servicing. Any ideas?

Basically i think theres some kind of hydraulic lock going on inside, not sure but i'm only getting about 35-40mm of travel when I should be getting 130mm.
Well, in the top right hand corner of the screen is an ad for a company doing exactly what you are asking for!

Additionally, there is a guy named Drake Thomas ([email protected]) who has a great reputation. I have heard nothing but great things about him on these and other boards.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
misctwo said:
wow okay! that advertising is clearly not working on me! but thanks for pointing it out, they look like the place to go....
No worries, just busting your chops! I would give both places a shot. I have heard really good things about Isotuned.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Vespasianus said:
Well, in the top right hand corner of the screen is an ad for a company doing exactly what you are asking for!

Additionally, there is a guy named Drake Thomas ([email protected]) who has a great reputation. I have heard nothing but great things about him on these and other boards.
:thumbsup: Thanks man, I also have full shimmed conversions for the minutes in stock and readyto assemble.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DRAKETHOMAS said:
:thumbsup: Thanks man, I also have full shimmed conversions for the minutes in stock and readyto assemble.
Drake what are 'full shimmed conversions'? seems like there's something mechanically stopping the fork from giving more than 45mm of travel, though i've never felt a fork with hydro lock so i can't compare it...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Inside your fork you need to understand that there is 2 cavities, one inside the lowers(which have the axle mounted to it) and the other being the steerer tube assembly which has the sliders or stanshions.Manitou isolates the oil from these in the upper stanchions, at the bottom is a sealhead, from which the dummy rod connects to the lowers.If by any chance the oil volume goes down inside the stanchions it eneters the lowers which need air volume to compensate for the fork compressing. If said oil leak is large 5cc and more then the volume in the compensating area goes down which means you have less area for the uppers to go.LESS TRAVEL.Shimmed versions allow more refinement and better performance over the airbacked SPV valve.Which if not taken care of will attrack oil in the nonoil soluable quag ring assembly rendering the valve useless and riding like crap.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DRAKETHOMAS said:
Inside your fork you need to understand that there is 2 cavities, one inside the lowers(which have the axle mounted to it) and the other being the steerer tube assembly which has the sliders or stanshions.Manitou isolates the oil from these in the upper stanchions, at the bottom is a sealhead, from which the dummy rod connects to the lowers.If by any chance the oil volume goes down inside the stanchions it eneters the lowers which need air volume to compensate for the fork compressing. If said oil leak is large 5cc and more then the volume in the compensating area goes down which means you have less area for the uppers to go.LESS TRAVEL.Shimmed versions allow more refinement and better performance over the airbacked SPV valve.Which if not taken care of will attrack oil in the nonoil soluable quag ring assembly rendering the valve useless and riding like crap.
you and your 4.2M posts. :D ...calling u now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.