Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '99 steel voodoo hoodoo hangin in my garage, i ride it seldom. pretty much with the kids and a charity ride once a year. it is in good shape. my main ride in a santa cruz chameleon single speed. anyways...i am thinking about a new geared XC hardtail or redoing to voodoo. it would take about $700 to go down to the frame and start over with components i like. or should i just sell the voodoo (despite emotional attachment) and take the profits to a new geared hardtail? like a stumpjumer or similar?

redo voodoo?

sell the voodoo?

how much could i get for the voodoo?

suggestions for new xc hardtail (note: i dont want the same bike as everyone else)?

·
Registered
981 Posts
What do you plan to upgrade in that $700 budget?

Do you plan on changing out the fork? If so, new current forks are 80mm and up in travel, which may slacken your headtube and change the handling on it, if you care about that. My old Breezer from that time was designed for a 63mm fork (good ol' RS Indy).

I enjoy old school steel bikes like Breezers and Voodoos, so I would be tempted to fix up the old steel steed.

As for new, for around $950, you can try out the Fisher Cobia 29er geared XC hardtail. A 29er would satisfy your criteria of having something different from everyone else. And being a 29er, it would add something new for you experience. Just a thought.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frankenbike said:
What do you plan to upgrade in that $700 budget?

Do you plan on changing out the fork? If so, new current forks are 80mm and up in travel, which may slacken your headtube and change the handling on it, if you care about that. My old Breezer from that time was designed for a 63mm fork (good ol' RS Indy).

I enjoy old school steel bikes like Breezers and Voodoos, so I would be tempted to fix up the old steel steed.

As for new, for around $950, you can try out the Fisher Cobia 29er geared XC hardtail. A 29er would satisfy your criteria of having something different from everyone else. And being a 29er, it would add something new for you experience. Just a thought.

i am good for 80mm, 80mm came on it and i am running 80mm black super on it now...probably change out to 80mm zokes. as fror the 29ers...not new on my trails...everyone is going to them...29er and singles speeds is all i see, i have a badass santacruz ss, so maybe a old school steel voodoo would be different enough.

my price gets new fork, der and shifters (sram x.7 stuff) cassette, king headset, sun wheelset...pretty much every thing bu the frame. now seem to be the time to buy parts.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Rebuild the Voodoo

pcrage_2 said:
i have a '99 steel voodoo hoodoo hangin in my garage, i ride it seldom. pretty much with the kids and a charity ride once a year. it is in good shape. my main ride in a santa cruz chameleon single speed. anyways...i am thinking about a new geared XC hardtail or redoing to voodoo. it would take about $700 to go down to the frame and start over with components i like. or should i just sell the voodoo (despite emotional attachment) and take the profits to a new geared hardtail? like a stumpjumer or similar?

redo voodoo?

sell the voodoo?

how much could i get for the voodoo?

suggestions for new xc hardtail (note: i dont want the same bike as everyone else)?
Voodoo made some nice hardtails, but from what I have been told by one Voodoo owner, there were a couple models with design flaws (how serious they are, I do not know). If your Voodoo is NOT one of the models with this purported design flwas, I say build it back up. I had a chance to ride my friend's Voodoo hardtail and it was a nice feeling bike. If you liked the bike before, I say put new components on it and breathe another few years of life into the bike.

Bob

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
your going to be dissapointed...

if you buy a new hardtail expecting it to ride better than the voodoo. it may be lighter but voodoo's Joe Murray dialled in the geometry of his hardtails long ago. there's lots of newer bikes imitating this same design. why pay for what you already have?.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.