Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just want to show of my recently rebuild Shimano XTR wheelset, and tell you how I build it.

I discovered that the spokes on the wheels had SAP typed on the elbows, and it looked to be regular Sapim Race spokes. I thought, why not replace the heavy Sapim Race spokes with lighter, more aerodynamic and stiffer Sapim CX-Ray spokes. I shaved about 70 gr. of the wheelset, and it looks stunning.

Has anyone else done this?

Best regards, Hestesk殤eren

Attachments

·
all day long
212 Posts
i have a set the needs major over-haul. my rear rim is bent, and I'd like to replace all the spokes like you did. Should I just take them to my LBS to have them re-built, and will they be able to get the same rim. Or, should I have them re-built on different rims?

thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
XTR re-build

Hi,

I replaced the spokes myself, but I have some experience in wheelbuilding. It was a little harder to build than a normal wheelset, mostly because the nipples are located at the hub. But other than that it was quite straight forward.

Oh, the original spokes have some sort of glue or wax that holds a washer that fills the holes in the rim, I removed that with fire. Burned the spoke where it bends and the washer came right of.

You cannot use any other rims, since the nipples are located at the hub-end og the spokes. So another XTR rim is your only choice, but 1590 gr. for a tubeless disc wheelset, thats not too bad.

/Hesteskænderen

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
WH-M959 - can the same be done with them?

Hestesk殤eren said:
Hi,
I discovered that the spokes on the wheels had SAP typed on the elbows, and it looked to be regular Sapim Race spokes. I thought, why not replace the heavy Sapim Race spokes with lighter, more aerodynamic and stiffer Sapim CX-Ray spokes. I shaved about 70 gr. of the wheelset, and it looks stunning.
I recently picked up a set of used WH-M959 wheels and a couple of the spokes could stand to be replaced. I am wondering if the same thing could be done with them--they could stand to loose the weight even more than the M965's. Do you have any closer-up pix of either the before or after? Thx.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I just want to show of my recently rebuild Shimano XTR wheelset, and tell you how I build it.

Has anyone else done this?

Best regards, Hestesk殤eren
i want to ask a question?
how did you apply cx ray spokes to this wheelset?
i know that head of spokes are different, isn't it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, they're standard spokes which are mounted upside-down. However, the Shimano wheels had an "adapter" head for each to attach to the rim. I think I used heat to melt the glue to take these adapters off the original spokes and re-use them on Sapim spokes.
i'd always wondered, I'm glad to I found out. thanks a lot.
good bye

·
Registered
111 Posts
No, they're standard spokes which are mounted upside-down. However, the Shimano wheels had an "adapter" head for each to attach to the rim. I think I used heat to melt the glue to take these adapters off the original spokes and re-use them on Sapim spokes.

https://forums.mtbr.com/attachments...rebuild-shimano-xtr-disc-wh-m965-167_6744.jpg
This is what I love about this community! Getting an answer after so much time!
I have the same wheels which I bought only a month ago. They are in perfect shape but this upgrade sounds like a great DIY.

Does any body know where I can find replacement stickers for these wheels? I was thinking on custom making some at a local vinyl shop if I couldn't fing OEM replacements.
Since they are only one color it should be easy to have then laser cut from white vinyl.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.