Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently gone back to riding some trails after being on the road for the last 5 years. Some false starts with big offs kept me away...

In any case, I'm finding I am able to keep up with the FS guys on the trails. With good lights, night riding has become quite fun. But I'm working twice as hard. But no cash for new bike for a while.

So I've upgraded my tires to suit the terrain better (wet/mud/roots) and freshened up my brake pads.

Now my Judy XC fork dampers are toast.

Is it worth rebuilding the fork vs getting something newer? I don't have $500 to drop on a Fox or anything. But is there like a $100-150 alternative to get me something that performs better than my Judy XC did brand new?

The bike is a '96 Stumpjumper.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
A 1996 Judy XC will have about 60mm travel so if you are going to replace it...don't go over 80mm travel.

You might want to try and contact White Bros...they may have some backstock of either England Total Air cartridges or Judd Springs and Hardbody Dampeners for your fork

phone 970.241.3518

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
get a newer fork. not a ton of options out there these days for a 80mm travel fork w/ brake studs for your linear/canti brakes. I'd look for a decent used marzocchi Z2/atom/marathon in the 80mm travel range. 100mm travel was too much for me w/ my '96 M2, though YMMV. it made the steering too flip/floppy by slackening the head angle.
traffic002 said:
So I've recently gone back to riding some trails after being on the road for the last 5 years. Some false starts with big offs kept me away...

In any case, I'm finding I am able to keep up with the FS guys on the trails. With good lights, night riding has become quite fun. But I'm working twice as hard. But no cash for new bike for a while.

So I've upgraded my tires to suit the terrain better (wet/mud/roots) and freshened up my brake pads.

Now my Judy XC fork dampers are toast.

Is it worth rebuilding the fork vs getting something newer? I don't have $500 to drop on a Fox or anything. But is there like a $100-150 alternative to get me something that performs better than my Judy XC did brand new?

The bike is a '96 Stumpjumper.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtnbiker72,

If my Judy XC is 60mm, I noticed there are 80mm kits. White Bros hasn't returned my e-mail yet. I might give them a call just to close on it.

logbiter,

Thanks for the insight. I'll check out those Marzocchi models.

Reek said:
You could probably find a RS Dart fork for around $100. That would probably be as good as your judy.

REEK
Thanks. I wasn't sure where my Judy might stack up with the newer models. I see that the Dart is a coil spring fork as well. And I guess the price point is bearable.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
A Dart 2 or 3 would probably be a performance upgrade...but will weigh about 1.5lbs more than that '96 Judy w/coil springs (I actually owned a '96 Judy XC and weighed it with Speed Springs and it came out at ~4lbs)

But unless your brakes are V-Brakes, newer forks do not have a hanger for canti style brakes so it won't work. As far as uping the old Judy to 80mm...well, its a pretty flexy fork compared to todays standards, but it really wouldn't hurt much otherwise.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I converted to V-brakes in 2000.

So did some research on the Dart2 & 3. Reviews don't seem favorable.

I'm not a great mtn biker. But I can keep up with FS on typical singal track riding. I just have to work a lot harder at it. But I need some help with a fork that actually has damping.

Dart 2 sounds like it's more of a beginner's fork entry into trail riding vs paved or gravel trails.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Well, I'm riding a 2008 Tora 318 Solo Air (29er) and I think its a great fork...and my last fork was a Fox Vanilla R so I'm comparing to a well respected fork.

Its a bit heavy, but otherwise a good fork. The other fork that is going for a good price right now is the Marzocchi MX Pro Lo. Blue Sky Cycling has them for $185 plus $15 for the brake studs...$200 is not bad

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I have a 97 Judy XC on a 96 GT hardtail and just recenlty built up a 2003 (NOS) Kona hardtail using a Rock Shox Tora 318 Solo Air (travel is internally adjustable to 80mm, 100mm or 130mm) from Cambria Bike Outfitters for $225 with alloy steerer ($209 w/steel steerer).

My 96 Judy had an upgraded Englund aluminum cartridge with long travel kit (80mm) and steel springs. The new Tora is a way better, plusher fork. You can put an Avid BB7 disc brake on it if you have a disc hub, if not they have a U-turn model (85mm to 130mm travel) Tora for $245 (with free shipping) with v-brake bosses, but I can't vouch for that model's performance.

I would not personally spend the money for a Dart to replace the 96 Judy fork unless the Judy just doesn't work and you need something cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.