Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my 08 Stinky when I moved down to Florida from NH years ago, used it as a beach cruiser for 9 years or so. I am planning a move to Utah soon and would rather rebuild the bike rather than replace with a new $5k rig.

Any feedback on where I could have it rebuilt/refurbished? The bike works well, mostly just a little rusty due to ocean salt but obviously the frame is aluminum and the forks are carbon fiber so the rest can be replaced I believe.

It is a 08 Stinky, Marzocchi Roco TST-R, it has the Manitou Dorado MRD Carbon Fork which needs the seals replaced and a rebuild, Simano XT, Hayes, etc.

I know the fork is fairly rare and they may be worth more than the bike, I just like how it rides and don't need and can't really take advantage of a brand new bike.

Thoughts? Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If you have a shop do all the work you're better off selling it for parts before hand & buying something new.

You'll spend what the bikes worth just getting it functional again and be no better off for it.

If you don't want to part with it, assuming it just needs a tune up, you can get new cables & housing & do a service on the fork. Enduro most likely sells seals for that fork, they had seals for a earlier dorado I rebuilt. Probably could use a new chain & brakes...

What's going on with it? What issues are you having?

Don't get me wrong I love old bikes & Kona's especially so please don't take the above in a negative fashion. BTW if you do really need all that travel, here's the progeny of your bike on sale. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kona-Proce...291273&hash=item23bb1fada6:g:IHAAAOSwSBhbtpEo Assuming you're 5'10+ (FYI the 167 MSRP is 5K)

That process is similar to you Stinky in that is aint the best climber but with more modern geometry it'll be much safer down the hill and excels at jumping and having fun. Friend of mine loves his.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.