Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a 2002 Fox Float R that is in need of a rebuild and i am looking at getting it Pushed with the custom valving option. The other option is to buy a new Fox Float with the bigger air chamber, but if i do that i will not get it Pushed for a while (till it needs a rebuild).

I really think just getting my old Float Pushed with the custom revalve is the way to go, but i wasn't sure if the new Floats with the bigger air chamber are that much better.

Which option should i do?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
It depends. Are you happy with the spring rate of your current Float? If so, by all means, send it to PUSH and they will do it up right. They can work some magic but they can't fix the spring rate. So if you're not getting full travel at a reasonable sag level (~25%) or it's just ramping up too much for you, then you should consider the new design Float (2005 or later).

I checked your profile. For a Superlight, Santa Cruz is spec'ing "high volume" Floats which have larger than standard air cans. So you might benefit from more volume. Check eBay, maybe you can find one of the newer high volume shocks taken off from a new SC bike.

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i pretty much use all the travel the shock provides. I am comfortable with the spring rate (once it was finally dialed in) but the rebound leaves something to be desired. It has worked fine for several years, but it is now developing sounds and after 3 years of riding it with no rebuilds i think it would be a good time to tear it down and get it Pushed.

But i just want't sure if a non-Pushed new 2006 Fox float will be as good or better than a 2002 Fox float that is Pushed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts