Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Fork?

• Buy a new fork you tool...

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Buy a stanction and seal kit you fool....

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Who cares, ride it until it blows up.....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why are you even asking?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating whether to rebuild my fork (2002 Boxxer WC) and put a new stanction on it, or if I should just pony up and buy a new fork? The scratches on the stanction blew a seal on Sunday when I was riding at Keystone. How much would a new stanction cost? Could I still find one (have they even changed) for a '02? I'm thinking if I go the new route I'd want to only shell out ~ $750.

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
here is what I would really do.....

get the stanction repaired by Rockshox...........along with an oil change and tune up...................if you like the boxxer keep it and still keep riding.......if not step up and get an 888 and sale the boxxer....price to fix it should be under 150 bucks for everything

·
I like air!
915 Posts
matt said:
'06 boxxer team
I agree with Matt,

If you have $750 and want to spend it, buy the 06 boxxer team. I dont have one but I was blown away by how smooth it was and it made the 04 boxxer team I used to have feel like a pogo stick. Almost made me regret shelling out the cash I did for my 06 Fox DH 40 but luckily I got my brand new 40 for not much more then $750.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Check out the buy and sell forum on MTBR. There are typically great deals to be had at 1/2 price of new. I just bought a new 2006 888 RC2X for $750 and it works great.

On a side note, the 888s are heavy compared to my Sherman Slider Plus . . . which is in the same weight range as your Boxxers. The front end doesn't seem to lift nearly as easily. But it's soooo smooth and feels like butter over stutter! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
373 Posts
1 part is screwed up... it might be covered by warranty from RS. Why buy a new fork when the one you have works fine? I would definetly fix the fork instead of buying a new one.
2002 wasn't that long ago, so it shouldn't be too far off from more recent forks.
Call rock shock see what they say.

·
I like air!
915 Posts
EliM said:
1 part is screwed up... it might be covered by warranty from RS. Why buy a new fork when the one you have works fine? I would definetly fix the fork instead of buying a new one.
2002 wasn't that long ago, so it shouldn't be too far off from more recent forks.
Call rock shock see what they say.
4 years is almost in antique in this game. Especially when it comes to suspension and frame designs. Even most of the lower line shocks today are better then the best shocks from 4 years ago. In the case of Rock Shock, the new 06 stuff is just better then any previous year. They seem to have gotten things right since Scram took them over. Also, Rock Shox used to offer an upgrade program where your can upgrade to a new shock with a substantial discount of trading in your old fork. You might want to look into that too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.