Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had no luck on my own, so thanks in advance for any help offered.

My GF bike has just had a Fox F100RLT installed. Due to it's diminutive size the down-tube catches the top of the Rebound (red) knob when the fork swings around. I would like to solve this problem in some way other than just removing the knob, both from an esthetics point-of-view and one of functionality.

Does anyone know if there are "aftermarket" parts available? Any mods you would care to share? Suggestions? Ideas?

-B-

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I'm sorry to say that I don't think there is a really elegent solution to the problem. The first time I learnt about this, was when I was thinking of putting a Fox TALAS onto my Intense 5.5. It is a medium. There was fairly extensive coverage on the subject, both on Intense and others. Some guys were saying that it just cleared and others said that it was scraping the downtube. On a small frame it appears that the overlap was just to big. I did a fairly extensive search for a solution. The same problem appeared on several manufacturer's forums. Guys were talking about spacers under the crown race or useing a second race. Some people talked about headsets with a higher stack. Someone had the knob machined down and the solution for some was just putting some type of a bumper or protection onto the frame. Other guys just didn't care! None of which I would have been prepared to live with.

I ended up putting a Manitou Nixon on my bike. Before buying it I called Manitou and asked if there were any clearence problems. I was assured that there were none. I was told that they had a problem with some of their earlier forks and that they took it into account. This is one that Fox needs to wake up on.

Ronnie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.