Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
looking at these two forks for my steel HT (wanna shed some pounds but stay on the beefier side of XC/race). Both have lockouts and my experience is that I am not using it.
Can I run them without lockout? Or will there be a functional issue?
thanks
kai

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, exactly. I am wondering if I can lose the the remote lever if I am not the lockout type. Or is there going to be a hole/missing bolt...that affects functionality of the fork? Sorry if I did not make this clear enough...

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I'm not familiar with Manitou's handle-bar lockout system, but I am familiar with Rockshox. Yes, you could undo the cable and remove the poploc/pushloc from the handlebar. There will be no way to lock out the fork after doing this, but it won't affect the fork in any other way. I assume the Manitou system is similar, but don't know that.

Another option is to get a fork with a crown mounted adjuster, instead of the handlebar lockout option. Has more adjustability than the standard poploc/pushloc and it doesn't clutter up your handlebar.

Here is a photo of a RS crown mounted adjuster:

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
if you buy a RS fork that came with a handlebar mount lockout and remove the lockout, the fork won't have any setting but 'fully open.' The motion control unit is different in the remote lockout forks.'

Just buy a fork that doesnt have a remote if you don't want a remote.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info, makes complete sense. There's a Reba on Ebay and it has the handlebar lockout. I guess it will depend on how high the price goes...so far I've ridden all shorter travel forks (less/equal 100mm) on 'full open'. The 'dive' only annoys me on longer travel forks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.