Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd spec'd a Reba for my new Turner Flux but the LBS's supplier is out of the model I wanted. I can wait, but the LBS is encouraging me to consider the F100 RLT. Lots of negative posts on the RLT which surprised me.

Is the Reba that much better? 3 out of 4 guys at the shop all recommended the Fox over the Reba and these are serious racers and wrenches for teams. Interestingly, none of the wrenches like the U-turn Reba, only the dual-air. "Just one more thing to break or go wrong." The guy who likes the Reba is sponsored by RS, but said the RLT is a great fork. Simpler to dial in than the Reba.

Is the poploc a major advantage?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Surfpriest said:
I'd spec'd a Reba for my new Turner Flux but the LBS's supplier is out of the model I wanted. I can wait, but the LBS is encouraging me to consider the F100 RLT. Lots of negative posts on the RLT which surprised me.

Is the Reba that much better? 3 out of 4 guys at the shop all recommended the Fox over the Reba and these are serious racers and wrenches for teams. Interestingly, none of the wrenches like the U-turn Reba, only the dual-air. "Just one more thing to break or go wrong." The guy who likes the Reba is sponsored by RS, but said the RLT is a great fork. Simpler to dial in than the Reba.

Is the poploc a major advantage?

Thoughts?
I've got a Team U-turn PLA and I like, a lot cheaper then the tales and didn't have the compression adjustment issues of the 04 foxes.

Poploc isn't a big deal unless you use your lockout a lot. Even then it's not that big of a deal to reach down and twist the knob. If you're going to dial the travel up or down much (I'll use it for climbs longer then 20 minutes which is often in this area) so it's pretty useful for me.

So I'd say go Reba if you don't have the money or want a little more tuneability, otherwise go Fox (and tales if it's a big deal), though I would steer you towards an RLC (now that the compression dampening actually has a useable range). Less issues with maintenance and definitely easier to dial in with minimal loss of adjustments.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I don't have any experience with the RLT. Is that the TerraLogic version?

The Reba may be harder to "dial in" but this just means "more adjustable". So in one sense, it's a negative, one it's a positive, it depends on your viewpoint, really. The Motion Control and TerraLogic platforms are two ways to achieve the same thing. The difference is that MC is more adjustable (at least more so than older versions of the Fox. The newer Brain Shocks have adjustable threshold, I'm not sure of the forks).

I like the tuneability of negative/positive springs and the compression damping coupled with the Floodgate of the RS makes for a fork than can do a lot of different things. For some people, this is a hinderance or just not necessary. For some, it's the MOTTS.

I think the Fox will be stiffer and the quality is excellent. The RS is built well, with good materials and workmanship, but it always seemed like it was "Made in Taiwan", to me Obviously this is evident in the price, but not necessarily the quality of travel, which is still good.

Ultimately, I don't think you'd notice major differences in the performance, but again, I don't have any experience with the newer Fox models. The RS is a good fork. I'm not a fan of the PopLoc, though. Just my opinion on that - too much bar clutter.

·
Registered
121 Posts
chad1433 said:
I don't have any experience with the RLT. Is that the TerraLogic version?
It's the same as the RLC with compression dampening adjustment (or an RL without the Threshold adjustment). Both totally different from the TerraLogic versions (100X/80X). Very similar to motion control but on the Fox the threshold only works when Locked out (motion control is always active).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.