Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
I'm a huge Marzocchi fan, don't get me wrong. I currently have an '04 Marathon S on my bike and I love it. Fact of the matter is that by most people's accounts, RS hit a home run with the Reba. If it were my money, I'd spend the $200 on something else. If there is something about the Marathon XC in it's features and adjustability that you have to have over the Reba, that's a different story.
Also keep in mind with the Reba, when it needs service, Push will most likely be working on them, and you will be able to get it upgraded as well.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Keep the Reba

I'm a huge Marzocchi fan, don't get me wrong. I currently have an '04 Marathon S on my bike and I love it. Fact of the matter is that by most people's accounts, RS hit a home run with the Reba. If it were my money, I'd spend the $200 on something else. If there is something about the Marathon XC in it's features and adjustability that you have to have over the Reba, that's a different story.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I've had both and I'd say that the $200 is not worth the upgrade. If it were an even trade, I'd go for it. The travel action of the Marzocchi is smoother, IMO, but the RS has some adjustments that the Marz. doesn't have.

I'd keep the Reba.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I would study the reviews on this site as well.

I was torn between the two shocks too, but got the XC because at the time I needed v-brake posts which the Reba did not offer.

I have been happy with the XC and really like the ETA system, but the REBA offers larger diameter stanchions and the u-turn for easier travel ajustment and probably a lower axel to crown height.

I do have an application for the REBA so I might get one.

Ya $200 will get you a lot of nice bike stuff.

Have fun!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
sramski said:
I am buying a Trance and wanted opinions on getting a "credit" for the Reba and putting on a Marathon XC. Is it worth the 200.00 expense?
Wow, I can't even believe you were entertaining the thought of not keeping the REBA :confused: I'll guess it's a Trance2 you're getting. I own a Trance3 (now at T2 specs) and I got the REBA SL for mine after some serious recomendations from happy riders almost 9 months ago and love it on the Trance. What you might consider doing is removing the spacer in the REBA which it comes with to make the travel go to 115mm.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Reba vs. Marathon

I had a 2005 Marathon SL and I now have a Reba...

Marz: Marathon SL felt plusher and offered more options to infinitely tune the ride (does the XC have all the same features as the SL?) and I particularly liked the PAR adjustment to adjust the progressiveness of the travel at the middle/end of the stroke.

RS: Reba handles better with the bigger stanchions. The poplock remote is easier to use on the go than turning the ETA, and the floodgate is intuitive and extremely useful. The near infinite amount of platform/lockout you can dial in is impressive.

If you like tweaking and playing with your suspension to get the ultimate feel, go for the Marzocchi (but I don't think it's worth $200 more) If you like a dead-simple fork that steers like a razor and has a surprising number of useful features, get the Reba. While they are both great, I think the Reba is a better fork for the money.

JMH

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
I'm considering going the other way, reba to marathon xc. I simply cannot get my reba sl to pick up the small trail stuff. It just hammers my wrists on fast rocky surfaces, & I've tried a multitude of air pressure settings, both pos, & neg. It feels overly progressive & doesn't use the last maybe 3/4" travel despite different settings.
I'm going to do an oil change this weekend, maybe that'll help.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
kneecap said:
I'm considering going the other way, reba to marathon xc. I simply cannot get my reba sl to pick up the small trail stuff. It just hammers my wrists on fast rocky surfaces, & I've tried a multitude of air pressure settings, both pos, & neg. It feels overly progressive & doesn't use the last maybe 3/4" travel despite different settings.
I'm going to do an oil change this weekend, maybe that'll help.
have you tweaked the compression and / or floodgate setting?

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
I've turned the floodgate to almost all the way off, so that when it's engaged it blows off easily. But I hardly ever use that function anyway, I fun the compression full soft.
I reset pressures from a thread last week, helped a little, but I'm at a loss at this point. This fork seems too progressive, ramps up too quickly, & like I said previously, I have to drop the pos psi waaay lo to get full travel & it pounds me over fast rough terain. I'm bouncing all over the place, maybe scram's air forks arn't for lighter riders.....
Wish "Push" would gear up for this fork soon.

·
mtbr member
454 Posts
kneecap said:
I've turned the floodgate to almost all the way off, so that when it's engaged it blows off easily. But I hardly ever use that function anyway, I fun the compression full soft.
I reset pressures from a thread last week, helped a little, but I'm at a loss at this point. This fork seems too progressive, ramps up too quickly, & like I said previously, I have to drop the pos psi waaay lo to get full travel & it pounds me over fast rough terain. I'm bouncing all over the place, maybe scram's air forks arn't for lighter riders.....
Wish "Push" would gear up for this fork soon.
What's your exact settings:
- pos psi
- neg psi
- rebound (%)
- compression (%)
- floodgate (%)
- sag (%)

If you want more travel and "bounce all over the place" at high speed, and already have little compression damping, then I guess you need less rebound damping and maybe also less positive and negative pressure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.