Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Further than you think

bonesetter2004 said:
Just how far off the mark is this guide?

I am using the Team (great fork) set at 120 on my RIP and have 145psi in it now to get the travel set correctly!

I'm 189lbs
I'm 200# and set mine at 110psi positive 105 negative at 80mm, and I very rarely bottom it out. Same seems to be true on my geared 29er with a 100mm Reba, but I only have a few rides on that bike.

Also remember that more positive AND more negative will yield the same sag, but will make the fork feel harder and less responsive to small bumps. I like my fork soft, and use the lockout to control bob.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You also have to remember that shock pumps aren't very accurate when it comes to measuring air pressure, so if you really think your pump could be wrong you could just check the pressure with one of your friends pumps or one at your LBS, but so far all of my Rockshox pressure charts have been spot on for my weight

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Well there are lots of different combinations of presssures that you could use to get the fork to work but I have always found Rainman's method in his blog to work fine for me on both my 07 and now my 09 forks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm 205 lbs suited up and run 25-30% sag.

The chart on my '09 29er Team Reba is spot on for me and my SIR9.

The chart on my '08 426 Air U-turn Revelation if insanely off for me and my 5-spot..by about 35 psi. I run 100+/105- on it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TR said:
Well there are lots of different combinations of pressures that you could use to get the fork to work but I have always found Rainman's method in his blog to work fine for me on both my 07 and now my 09 forks.
I think this is what I've done - basically made sure I use full travel on the big hits by adding more pressure, always in the positive first.

It seems to be working fine otherwise, except for the big air pressure

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
bonesetter2004 said:
I think this is what I've done - basically made sure I use full travel on the big hits by adding more pressure, always in the positive first.

It seems to be working fine otherwise, except for the big air pressure
If you were using Rainmans guide, you would have approx 125lb pos and say 110lb neg off the top of my head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.