Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an '11 epic comp 29er, and I heard it's possible to go from 100mm to 120mm of travel in the front by removing a spacer. Any word on this?

If it's already been discussed, could someone link me to it? I haven't had any luck finding info.

Dan

·
Registered
45 Posts
If the Reba is the fork that came on the bike it may not be possible depending on whether or not SRAM did a special run for Specialized. The SRAM website shows the 29'er RLT as a 130/140 travel fork so your fork looks like a special option.

It's easy to open them up and check though as they may have achieved 100mm travel purely by utilising spacers.

I converted my 2010 26" Rebas from 100mm to 120mm and it's a half hour job

·
Registered
182 Posts
120/100

Funny...I'm thinking about buying a 120 and going to a 100..I had heard Specialized will void a warranty if you go beyond 10 pecent of stock travel..at least on a carbon frame.

·
Registered
31 Posts
airdonut41 said:
So I have an '11 epic comp 29er, and I heard it's possible to go from 100mm to 120mm of travel in the front by removing a spacer. Any word on this?

If it's already been discussed, could someone link me to it? I haven't had any luck finding info.

Dan
Sram has pdf files on there site showing the operation. I made my 100mm recon 120mm recently. Make sure you get the appropriate fork oil. Calls for 5wt and 15wt oils. Took about 20mins to do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old topic, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this? And if not, any opinions on how it would affect the handling of my bike? I'd really like a bit more travel during the summer (when I do more AM riding), and then I'd probably shrink it back down in the fall. Would it get sloppy?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts