Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start this off by saying I am not having any problem with my fork whatsoever, I just abhor the lack of adjustment from the Motion Control damper. It goes from open to locked out pretty easy, with really not much change on the middle clicks. I would like to have some more control over the damping.

The fork is a Reba RL 120 that came stock on my Fuse Carbon Comp. The amount of travel is fine, I'm not struggling with stiffness or flex, and I picked up some bottomless tokens to add to the air spring side to help me be able to run a little lower pressure and not blow through the travel (that helped).

I am considering getting the Charger 2 damper upgrade (cost about $200, I can install myself) which will give me more low speed compression control. Before I order it, I thought I would ask if there was any reason I should consider replacing the fork with some thing like a Pike or Revelation, those seem to be available around $500 - $650 for the 2019 models. Other than the 35mm stanchions, just wanted to know if I would be missing out on anything else. I had a Pike on my SC 5010 and liked it, but it wasn't life changing.

A little about me, 190lbs riding weight, dry-rocky-desert single track of AZ, mostly riding XC/trail 90% of the time. I travel to ride "bigger" stuff occasionally but a lot of that is out of my system now after 30+ years of riding - I'm pretty much calling the limit a 4' drop to a transition at this point - but again that type of riding is the exception to my normal stuff.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I definitely suggest getting a Charger 2 damper, if only for the reason to have another person review it for me. :p So far the few scarce reviews about it I could find, gave a definite thumbs up. And since I am stuck with straight steerer and 9mm axles for now, there is pretty much no reasonable other upgrade available for me. And I also think the Motion Control damper is highly underwhelming so far. Even for my rather relaxed rides.

There is no HS setting for the Charger Reba upgrade, low speed only I think.

The advantage of getting a Pike aside from higher stiffness is probably that there are more tuning options available for the damper in case you need it, of which I found none so far for the 32mm Charger in SID/Reba.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did the Charger2 and new Debonair seal head upgrade to my Reba over the weekend. Almost talked myself out of the Charger2 because my Reba was so good with the RCT3 damper from the Sid. All I can say after 50 miles is WOW! The RCT3 damper was a huge improvement over the Specialized RC3 damper that came stock on my 2015 Camber EVO. After the upgrade to the Charger2, I am amazed. I am running 5 lbs more pressure and 3% less sag and small bump is much improved and the mid stroke support is so much better that I am actually working on learning to change my weight distribution more with it while cornering in downhill sections (no more dive). I am also running a MRP Ramp Control cartridge instead of tokens which I like the versatility of. If you have the spare funds, I recommend the Charger2 and Debonair upgrade (if you can find it in stock). I am 170 lbs in gear and ride mainly trails with small drops, rocks and roots and my current pressure is 87.5. Still have some playing to do with the settings, but it was money well spent to improve the quality of my rides.

·
Titanium Junkie
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have the spare funds, I recommend the Charger2 and Debonair upgrade (if you can find it in stock).
Thanks for the detailed response ~ not only can I not find one in stock, I can't even find mention of one on the Sram site or on the internet. Everything is for the 35mm forks. Funds are not the issue. I will do the Charger 2, if you know of where I can find more info or a part number, feel free to share it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The part number for the Debonair seal head assembly is 11.4018.096.000. I ordered mine from Bikeman and they still show it in stock. I was actually really surprised to actually get one from them as my LBS had been trying to get me one from SRAM for a couple of months.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is helpful. Just enter serial# from fork and it gives all upgrade possibilities.
https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/search/
While this site does give you the "Official" Rockshox Upgrade Products, there are sometimes other options available that are not ever listed on that site. I ran an RCT3 damper from a SID for over 2 years before the recent upgrade to the Charger2. The Debonair Seal Head Assembly is also currently not listed, but it is a relatively new release in the 2019 Sid.

·
Titanium Junkie
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
00.4018.783.003 Charger 2 Upgrade RLC with crown adjust
00.4018.783.011 Charger 2 Upgrade RLC with remote

Compatible with SID/Reba, both 27,5/29 MY2012-2016 (2017 for Reba) and Bluto.
Thanks, I have those numbers already, I was referring specifically to the Debonair upgrade.

·
Titanium Junkie
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The part number for the Debonair seal head assembly is 11.4018.096.000. I ordered mine from Bikeman and they still show it in stock. I was actually really surprised to actually get one from them as my LBS had been trying to get me one from SRAM for a couple of months.
Thanks for the heads up, I was able to snag one! Now if I can just find install instructions, did yours come with them?

·
Titanium Junkie
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So what exactly are you looking for? What adjustability do you need or are missing?
Better small bump compliance; better control over LSC; ride higher in the mid-stroke, while being able to run lower pressure and have less brake dive. All the things a Charger 2 damper and the Debonair upgrade should do.

Look, the bike is new and the fork isn't terrible as stated above; if I was building from the ground up I would have chosen something with those adjustments on it already. But, I got my Fuse Carbon for a steal and I can afford to throw $250 at it to make the fork more adjustable, I just didn't want to start swapping major components for the sake of it. I really loving the bike, just needs some fine-tuning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Better small bump compliance; better control over LSC; ride higher in the mid-stroke, while being able to run lower pressure and have less brake dive. All the things a Charger 2 damper and the Debonair upgrade should do.

Look, the bike is new and the fork isn't terrible as stated above; if I was building from the ground up I would have chosen something with those adjustments on it already. But, I got my Fuse Carbon for a steal and I can afford to throw $250 at it to make the fork more adjustable, I just didn't want to start swapping major components for the sake of it. I really loving the bike, just needs some fine-tuning.
That is exactly a similar scenario to where I was at, contempt with how my fork was but wondering if it could be better and the upgrade solved the issues you mentioned and I figure it will be even better when I an able to tinker more and get it dialed in, 25 clicks on rebound setting now :) You will not find Debonair upgrade instructions for the Reba, but it is a simple process. Just switch out everything below the top out bumper with the new assembly. Let me know if you results are as good as mine.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

The Charger 2 and the new airspring will do most of that, but it still doesn't have HSC adjustment. Brake dive is LSC so you should be able to tune it how you want, and pressure is just how much sag you want to run so it shouldn't change too much if you've already found a sag setting that you like.

·
Titanium Junkie
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Charger 2 and the new airspring will do most of that, but it still doesn't have HSC adjustment. Brake dive is LSC so you should be able to tune it how you want, and pressure is just how much sag you want to run so it shouldn't change too much if you've already found a sag setting that you like.
Well, thanks for your input.

·
Titanium Junkie
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is exactly a similar scenario to where I was at, contempt with how my fork was but wondering if it could be better and the upgrade solved the issues you mentioned and I figure it will be even better when I an able to tinker more and get it dialed in, 25 clicks on rebound setting now :) You will not find Debonair upgrade instructions for the Reba, but it is a simple process. Just switch out everything below the top out bumper with the new assembly. Let me know if you results are as good as mine.
Will do! Thanks.

·
Titanium Junkie
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey 15Hopper, can you check your PM's please? Have a question. Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.