Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Yesterday I was calibrating the negative pressure on my Reba Race and, after I took the pump of the valve, found oil in the thing that attaches to the valve. It wasn't a lot, so I wasn't too concerned at the time. Rode the bike today and the fork seems to be working fine.

Should I be concerned about that oil I found? Is that normal?

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Completely normal...if you want no oil to come out just pump the negative chamber with the bike upside down... the oil from the lowers is on top of the valve when the fork is right side up so it can be expected for a bit to come out...

no worries... just be careful you don't splash your rotor with oil if you use disc brakes..

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oil in the top valve cap normal?

Is it normal to have oil in both the top and the bottom air valves? I took my positive air cap off today and it had a small amount of oil in it. My negative air valve cap did too. Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
take a second look at the negative air valve...

take a second look at the negative air valve...

I had some oil in my negative air valve in my Revolution fork - it was not from adding air with the shock pump. Mine was actually coming down the threads of the schrader valve and eventually finding its way into the cap -- there is a little 3-5 cc bath of oil there for lubricaiton. There is a bolt on the schrader valve that should seal this area. I talked to sram about it -- they had supposedly never heard of this issue. Anyway - they told me to torque the bolt to 40 in-lbs -- thats what I did and I have not seen any oil since. Just another little thing to check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.