Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Reba Race 29er fork recently and I'm currently rebuilding it for use on my SS 29er and am trying to decide whether to build it with 80mm or 100mm.

My decision will depend on the characteristic of the lockout. I know that when you "lock" the fork, it prevents compression. But does locking the fork also prevent rebound? For example, if you load the fork to mid-stroke, lock it, and then unload it, will the fork extend or stay in the mid-stroke position?

I would just go test this myself, but the fork is currently in pieces.

·
Registered
683 Posts
No, you cant lock the fork out in mid stroke position. The fork has to be full extended in order for it to be locked out. What you are wanting is called a travel adjustable fork. Rock Shox calls this U-Turn and Fox calls it Talas.

For SS application I'd recommend 80 mm but depends ofcourse what you are riding. Ive heard ppl say that the Reba feels alot nicer at 100mm but if you are into racing then 80mm would be sufficient. Trail ride probably 100mm. hope that helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.