Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
As I'm a happy owner of the new SALSA DOS 29er frame :thumbsup:, now I'm looking for the good fork for the racing purposes. I have found that two forks that I believe should fulfill my needs, but as these are both from RockShox, now I'm hesitating the the selection.

I'm about 183 lbs, I'm going for the 80 mm travel, short races (40 - 60 miles).

Two questions at this moment in time:
1. Is it worh to go the the more expensive Reba Race ?
2. Are these forks are going to be even more cheap that as shown below ? I dont feel the pressure to buy it now, so I can wait another month, but as I dont know your market, not sure if they will be cheaper... the current prices in Europe is twice that big as these shown below ....

Reba 29 SL - $420
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCK-SHOX-REBA-...hash=item230265454587&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Reba Race 29 - $480
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-08-Rock-Sho...ycle-Fork_W0QQitemZ380035610398QQcmdZViewItem

Many thanks for the advice !!!!! :)

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i'm at 225 lbs. and got the reba sl. has been fine for me. i don't know about shipping to europe, but i've seen the reba sl much lower priced than $420.

you might try speedgoat...$365 + shipping (if rockshox allows their products shipped overseas).

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
New models are coming out soon with changes and improvements, so the current Reba's are cheap, but only while they last. ;)

I don't think the Race is worth the extra money. I believe the only differences on the Race are remote PushLoc and an external knob to adjust the floodgate (instead of a bolt at the bottom of the fork on the SL that does the exact same thing)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The only difference is the Poploc and external floodgate control. Otherwise they are identical in function.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boomn said:
New models are coming out soon with changes and improvements, so the current Reba's are cheap, but only while they last. ;)

I don't think the Race is worth the extra money. I believe the only differences on the Race are remote PushLoc and an external knob to adjust the floodgate (instead of a bolt at the bottom of the fork on the SL that does the exact same thing)
Thanks a lot. I havent seen the messages about the new reba, but it doesnt matter actually...

as I understand I can still buy separatelly the PushLoc and install it with Reba SL: ?

·
High Grade Skinjob.
104 Posts
I run an SL and love it. I have the poploc for it, but it has a compression dial on it; the one you linked at speedgoat does not. A compression dial allows you to tune how plush or not plush you run your forks. Or, to put it another way - it controls how much travel you use up.

I weigh well over 200 lbs w. gear and run my forks at quite a high compression, so like to be able to have that adjustment on the remote.

Basically, if you get just the fork, you will be able to tune it on the fork itself w/ a dial - if you then switch that dial w/ the remote you linked, I think you lose that ability to tune compression. But you should still be able to set the compression at a particular spot by varying where you tighten the cable to the motion control unit.

Whew.

I hope that kinda makes sense. If you're unfamiliar w/ the fork, it helps to have a schematic of the fork in front of you if you're not sure about which bit is which.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rickkane said:
I run an SL and love it. I have the poploc for it, but it has a compression dial on it; the one you linked at speedgoat does not. A compression dial allows you to tune how plush or not plush you run your forks. Or, to put it another way - it controls how much travel you use up.

I weigh well over 200 lbs w. gear and run my forks at quite a high compression, so like to be able to have that adjustment on the remote.

Basically, if you get just the fork, you will be able to tune it on the fork itself w/ a dial - if you then switch that dial w/ the remote you linked, I think you lose that ability to tune compression. But you should still be able to set the compression at a particular spot by varying where you tighten the cable to the motion control unit.

Whew.

I hope that kinda makes sense. If you're unfamiliar w/ the fork, it helps to have a schematic of the fork in front of you if you're not sure about which bit is which.....
Ok, I believe I got your point. for the time beeing, I do not consider this as a must, as I'm going to use this bike for racing, and typically there is no time to play with tuning of th compression. But for sure - very valid comment !!!

What are the prices in UK for 29 SL ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
maon said:
What are the prices in UK for 29 SL ?
On-One has them for £290. Actually they seem to be out of stock at the moment but they'll get more in as they sell them as part of their Inbred and Scandal full bikes. Send 'em an email and they'll tell you the delivery timeframe.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
isn't there a 'push-lock' or something similar that allows you to adjust the compression and/or lock it out?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.