Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Reba race with poploc. I thought it came set at 80mm travel and I was going to have to remove the spacer to change it to 100mm. I measured from the top of the seals to the crown and it measured 4" (100mm), so I let the air out and compressed the fork by hand and the seal went all the way to the crown. Did the fork come set at 100mm? Or, am I missing something?

Steve

·
( )
755 Posts
cruzthepug said:
I just got a new Reba race with poploc. I thought it came set at 80mm travel and I was going to have to remove the spacer to change it to 100mm. I measured from the top of the seals to the crown and it measured 4" (100mm), so I let the air out and compressed the fork by hand and the seal went all the way to the crown. Did the fork come set at 100mm? Or, am I missing something?

Steve
I had the opposite happen to me. I bought my reba new with my dos niner and the seller told me it would come set at 100mm. I posted here about using 100mm with the dos niner and everyone said it might make the bike handle funny. It seemed fine to me so I left it for a while. Well, to experiment with handling, i decided to have it changed to 80, so I took the fork off my bike. I happened to measure the travel like you did and I got ~85mm, but I thought I must be measuring it wrong. I brought it in to my LBS anyway to have them change the travel and they confirmed it was at 80 mm all along. I guess you can't be sure what you're going to get.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
steevo said:
I had the opposite happen to me. I bought my reba new with my dos niner and the seller told me it would come set at 100mm. I posted here about using 100mm with the dos niner and everyone said it might make the bike handle funny. It seemed fine to me so I left it for a while. Well, to experiment with handling, i decided to have it changed to 80, so I took the fork off my bike. I happened to measure the travel like you did and I got ~85mm, but I thought I must be measuring it wrong. I brought it in to my LBS anyway to have them change the travel and they confirmed it was at 80 mm all along. I guess you can't be sure what you're going to get.
I guess it's always good to check. Your right, you can't be sure.

·
Registered
604 Posts
same.............

ctp,
Yeah, my REBA uses all the stanchion (85mm) when fully compressed. This has never happened on the trail (ie: pressurized properly), but it seems odd that there is no 'extra' gap between the fork seal and crown.

What is your weight and setup relative to the pressure you are running?
Any impressions of the fork and performance.
How does your lockout perform?

C.

cruzthepug said:

Steve

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I'm not aware of Reba's coming from the factory set at 100mm.

Where did you buy it from? Maybe they'd converted some in-stock forks to 100mm and you inadvertently received one of those.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soupboy said:
I'm not aware of Reba's coming from the factory set at 100mm.

Where did you buy it from? Maybe they'd converted some in-stock forks to 100mm and you inadvertently received one of those.
I got it from Full Cycles, they have them on a close-out sale. The picture on the web page showed a '05 Reba but I received a '06. Not in original box, but all the manuals, even the one on the leg with a rubber band, and wrapped in plastic. It very well could have been already converted.

Steve

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mrsalty said:
.What is your weight and setup relative to the pressure you are running?
Any impressions of the fork and performance.
How does your lockout perform?

C.
I haven't installed the fork yet. I bought it for a Monk that myself is a friend are building for a loaner/demo bike. I have never had a Reba on one of my bikes, I've been using White Bros, and Maverick. I really like the way this Reba looks so it may go on my new Ti frame I have on the way and the BW1.0 may go on the Monk. Reports on the Monk and the Reba will follow.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.