Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a LBS to buy a Reba and they said QBP didn't have any. Also, looking online at prices, they seem to run $485-530 with or without poploc remote. Weren't they available everywhere for less than $400 last year? I got mine brand new for less than $400 last spring. Was there a price increase or do I just have a bad memory?

ugggh. This is all because my new frame's head tube is longer than my old one. I could of saved myself big $ if I just left another 3/4 inch on the steerer. :madman:

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
steevo said:
I just got back from a LBS to buy a Reba and they said QBP didn't have any. Also, looking online at prices, they seem to run $485-530 with or without poploc remote. Weren't they available everywhere for less than $400 last year? I got mine brand new for less than $400 last spring. Was there a price increase or do I just have a bad memory?

ugggh. This is all because my new frame's head tube is longer than my old one. I could of saved myself big $ if I just left another 3/4 inch on the steerer. :madman:
steevo, how off are you on the steertube?
I just ordered some avid saago stems which need very little steerer (27 mm). and a cane creek headset saves you about 7 mm of stack height over a king. i did this (didnt have to change the headset!) instead of buying a new fork.

if you want to see if the saago will work, let me know. i have 3 in my basement.

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jh_on_the_cape said:
steevo, how off are you on the steertube?
I just ordered some avid saago stems which need very little steerer (27 mm). and a cane creek headset saves you about 7 mm of stack height over a king. i did this (didnt have to change the headset!) instead of buying a new fork.

if you want to see if the saago will work, let me know. i have 3 in my basement.
With king head set the top of the steerer tube sits about 1/2 in below the top of the thomson stem with no spacers installed, so that the stem clamp can only grab part of the steerer. Hmmm...i think i have an extra cane creek headset, i hadn't thought of trying that. I'll do some measuring tonight and see if the CC/saago combination would work. Thanks!

--just googled the saago stem because I never heard of it...nice looking!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
You might try contacting Rock Shox about a new steerer / crown / stanchion assembly for your existing fork. A friend of mine went from a medium to an XL frame and Fox sold him this part for his fork. Maybe Rock Shox would as well. Also, does anyone know if there is a difference between the steerer / stanchion assembly for a 29er fork vs a 26er? Obviously the lowers are different, but is anything else? An exploded view with part numbers for both forks might answer the question. If they are the same you could buy a cheaper 26er version and swap parts.

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kdiddy said:
You might try contacting Rock Shox about a new steerer / crown / stanchion assembly for your existing fork.
i asked the LBS about this and they said "No way". I know that some Rebas have had squeaky crowns replaced, so it's possible, but the LBS said they wouldn't send it in. Maybe I'll contact Rock Shox directly if all else fails.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I sent a fork in to Manitou for service and it came back with a new upper assembly. I had to re-cut the steerer and put a new star washer in in order to reinstall it on my bike.
If the REBA uppers are the same as a 26 inch version, you could always build up a REBA World Cup 29er. Be the first on your block!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.