Votes: 38 73.1%
  • Fox TALAS R

Votes: 14 26.9%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've abandoned my dream of putting a 20mm through axle fork on my Flux. All the parts are ordered, but I'm still debating which fork to get.

I've narrowed it down to the Fox TALAS R, and the Reba Race.

Which one? You choose. Choose wisely. . .

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
You don't need 140mm of travel so the TALAS is a waste. Plus the R isn't nearly as adjustable. Reba is the perfect fork for the Flux.

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
sonyisdope said:
Which one? You choose. Choose wisely. . .
If you're still concerned with stiffness I'd stay away from the Reba. My '05 SL flops around like a wet noodle. How about a nice Marzocchi? It's got adjustble travel like the Talas. I've no personal experience with the Fox.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Reba all the way,and maybe think about the Reba SL, cheaper by a good deal and has all the adjustments( same) you need.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
PCinSC said:
If you're still concerned with stiffness I'd stay away from the Reba. My '05 SL flops around like a wet noodle. .
yeah I'd second that. Reba = scary flexy @ 115mm under a big guy. the Rev is supposed to be on a stiffer chassis.

·
Kiwis can fly - briefly!
97 Posts
I cannot comment on the relative stiffness of the Reba and Fox, however, I have ridden the Flux/Reba in both 20mm and QR configurations and noticed little practical difference in fork stiffness using the bike for the type of xc trails for which it was designed. Dropping almost 1.5lb off the front of the bike when I switched out the Pike/20mm hub was, however, quite noticeable. I suspect either fork will work fine if you use them within their design envelopes.

Ndo

G

·
i took the REBA off my my flux and repalced it with a talas. i will gladly take the extra .5lb. the front end steers with much more precision and control.

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I was checking out the 'Zokes too, but I just couldn't justify the weight penalty on a new unproven fork. Don't get me wrong, I think the Corsa is awesome, but it's really expensive. I was checking out the XC600 or 700, but ultimately decided against it.

I think I'm going Reba though after all that. I'll start posting pics as I get parts. I don't have a red couch though. Sorry.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Talas reliability

Aren't there a lot of problems with the Talas forks developing leaking seals? I've seen it happen a couple of times on friends' forks and have read complaints to this effect in the reviews posted on mtbr.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
ok, now im totally confused. is this your bike or a demo? if its a demo, who for? are you a shop owner or what? oh, my brain hurts.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I'm 165 and have been using a 29er Reba on my HT for the past year.

Great fork. I don't find it to be any less stiff than a Fox.

Don't listen to PC. He's all buff from the steroids.

As others have said, the TALAS seems like a waste for a Flux.

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
I'm 165 and have been using a 29er Reba on my HT for the past year.

Great fork. I don't find it to be any less stiff a Fox.
How could you tell anyway with those big, flexy wheels. :eek:

The Squeaky Wheel said:
Don't listen to PC. He's all buff from the steroids.
Drug-free baby. Unless you count kristy kremes as a performance enhancer. I don't think AAS induce hypertrophy in adipose tissue anyway. ;)

At 140lbs, or as a demo (or whatever this bikes purpose is), the Reba should be fine.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Czech the signature line CC. Looks like the OP is somehow linked to a LBS in Michagan.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts