Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been eyeballing Speedgoats Asylum deals,

I have had a Reba fork. I'm affraid the Magic 29er would be too stiff or too locked out feeling. I thought the 100X Fox fork that I had was too rigid on muddy roots.

Ant opinions out there?

·
Not really that big!
368 Posts
I have both. I have the Reba with poploc on my Dos Niner and the Magic 80 on my Rig. My Magic is a BW.8 converted to the Magic by White Brothers. I actually liked the the WB better before the conversion because it felt more plush and the sag gave me a little quicker handling on the Rig. It was more stiction prone before the conversion though. I like the Reba a little better than the WB now because it can be set up for that plushness and I get ZERO stiction.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I have the WB. The first couple of rides it did feel too stiff. (Stiction) But today it felt great. I had to dial in the IMV to get it to feel this way. And it is getting broken in. It's definitely not a one ride adjustment. I think I finally got it right because while riding today it felt really, really, good.

·
Arf, he said.
273 Posts
With either of these forks, do you guys notice the front end feeling "noodly" at all? I'm debating making the change from rigid to suspension fork but am a bit scared of how solid the front end will feel with those extra long stantions on a 29er sus fork. Opinions from anybody who has made the switch would be appreciated.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back when I had my Reba, it felt more noodly set at 100 than it did set at 80mm. It could have been my wheelset though. I prefer longer travel but after I rode an Asylum with a Reba set at 80 as compared to 100, the one set at 80 steered better and handled the tight and twisties better as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
mtbdawgJeff said:
With either of these forks, do you guys notice the front end feeling "noodly" at all? I'm debating making the change from rigid to suspension fork but am a bit scared of how solid the front end will feel with those extra long stantions on a 29er sus fork. Opinions from anybody who has made the switch would be appreciated.
Just bought a Reba for my new 29er -- I have used nothing but Marzocchi forks for over a decade. I have in fact hated and distrusted RockShocks products during that same period.

I began by riding my 29er rigid - I was so fearful of how loose and uncontrollable the Reba would be -- but sadly I am too old and my wrists ached after every ride. Still fearful of the Reba -- I bought the old Marzocchi MX Comp, all coil, on ebay. The fork was rigid and firm -- as are most Marzocchi's -- really had little travel tho with 70mm and 5mm+ of sag - so my wrists still ached. Finally, broke down and bought and tried a Reba. Take it from someone who has ridden Marzocchi forks all the way up to and including 7" offerings -- I live in the Pacific NW and ride a lot of technical, rooty, rocky, slippery and basically unruly trails -- I'll let you define unruly -- the Reba is a good stable platform that performs admirably and with reliability (at least so far). It's stiffness and lack of "noodlelarity" are IMHO deserve a rating of 7+ on a scale of 10 -- the best longer travel (5" or more) Marzocchi I have ever ridden was probably no better than an 8-8.5, which in my opinion is the best fork I have ever ridden - period.

So there you have it in diatribe form... I think the fork rocks for what it is designed to do and for what it costs. I am frankly thinking seriously of replacing my Marzocchi Marathon XC with one on my 26er fully. I would not even consider putting a FOX back on the bike -- and I have tried them ALL -- if that is any further indication of my regard for the Reba.

Get one... you'll like it. BTW -- I use my Reba set at 100mm.

Dave

·
Registered
29 Posts
I originally had a Bontrager Switchblade (alloy) on my curtlo. Wednesday, I received my WB 80mm travel fork and put it on. Thursday, I went out and put the hammer to it for 3 1/2 hrs. and today I raced it over at Southridge. Perfect! This IMV thing I wasn't quite sure about it- but I like it more and more. It feels just as rigid standing and carving as my Bontrager fork. The travel is nice and I kind of forgot one can actually go faster with a suspension fork downhill. I've had a Reba on my Palomino that I had, but I didn't have it long enough to give you a side by side comparison or even a 29r vs. 29r comparison. If money is no object- get the WB. Two days of riding data for you! :thumbsup:

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Why Reba of course. Didn't you read ma blog?
http://forums.mtbr.com/blog.php?do=showentry&e=313

The Reba is awesome. Great steering, low stiction seals with no break-in required, smooth action, awesome stable platform with compression adjustability, reliable, poploc versatility.

The Magic 29 is a good shock but not quite at the same level. The seals need to break in and they have more stiction. The action is not as smooth and the the IMV is pretty rough.

Now the Fluid 130 however is remarkably better. I'm absolutely jazzed by this one and am currently putting time in one.

francois

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool blog Francois!

I ha d the same opinion. I hated Rock Shox and vowed never again. The first 29er Reba I had changed my mind. I still think Fox is superior but Reba is my second choice if I were to build a 26" bike. Good to know Rock Shox is in good hands and isn't just another GT or Schwinn.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Madre and I have had almost 6 Reba's. From the very first run of forks to the most current. Her forks get serious mileage racing/training, etc.
My forks get serious testing from my 215lb frame beating on it.

Never, in over 2 years had issue 1 with any of the forks.
All are still plush, don't leak, are adjustable and are absolutely dependable.

Not one has gone back to RS.

The Reba is not as stiff as the WB. That is the one caveat...not a drawback...a caveat.

The Reba is stiff enough for heavy XC use though and even for very light-duty all-mountain/FR stuff.

Attachments

·
TomOneTi
218 Posts
I had a WB Magic 100 on my LaRuta an swaped it for a Reba with a pop-loc. I set up the Reba per Rainman's instructions (just like I had on my NinerOne) and real happy I did. I never liked the WB although some people swear by them.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
My Reba is OK but not a fork I rave about. Plenty reliable and I like the lockout feature for climbing and road action.

I have it set at 80mm. Does the mod to 100mm make it feel a lot nicer on the rough stuff?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I rode a friends WB Magic "briefly" this weekend. It did feel stiff but it had A LOT of stiction. My first impresssion wasn't praise worthy and I had hoped it would be. I'd love to have a thru-axle fork but I guess I'll keep waiting for Rock Shox to make one. My Reba's have been the most reliable forks I've ever owned to date. Performance is solid and they have a very nice feel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK the concensus thus far seems to indicate the Reba is the winner.

How about the Reba versus the Marzocchi Marathon SL 29R? To be clear, I'm asking about the dual air spring version of the Marathon 29R.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Marzocchi=Noodle. Plus, its basically either a 2003 or 2004 model. It is nothing like their current marathon offerings.

mdavenpo2000 said:
OK the concensus thus far seems to indicate the Reba is the winner.

How about the Reba versus the Marzocchi Marathon SL 29R? To be clear, I'm asking about the dual air spring version of the Marathon 29R.

·
luckiest of the unlucky
478 Posts
The Magic is a race fork. It will never be as smooth as a Reba, but it is stiffer and tons more efficient with the IMV. You probably get more travel out of a Magic than a Reba too since Reba's sag into their travel so much.

·
I just passed you
181 Posts
My Reba Race has been flawless. All the tuning options are there at your disposal; almost too many options actually. Once the floodgate is set up correctly, just ride it and forget it. Mine is at 80mm with Poplock. For climbers, Poplock is the cat's...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.