Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put the REBA SL fork that comes on the Rig on a KM? Are there any clearance issues with the downtube? This seems like something that must've been discussed here already, but i didn't see anything after doing a quick search

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Do a search....

...the SL will have less issues than the Reba Race on my KM as the right side of the crown is not decorated with knobs that are as tall and/or made out of metal.

That said, neither the frame or the fork give a reasonable rationable for not pairing them up. If you've got your fork past 90 deg you've got bigger issues than scratching your DT.

If you're really that concerned you can run a taller stack height HS like a FSA Pig DH w/ or w/o a spacer.

Sean

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
FSA Orbit UF

Cheap, reasonably good, 16mm lower stack height. It'll solve all problems but the silly tall knob on the right top cap.

I have to disagree about the "scratching the downtube paint" comment. I have hit a downtube with a fork (don't ask) and _broken the frame in half_ in a crash. It really, really sucked.

I've also thought of armoring the downtube with PVC if clearance is a problem, but that's pretty kludgy.

-Walt

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Well...

...you probably had more clearance issues than I have if the fork broke the frame.

I can push the fork past 90deg. The knob has just enough "give".

Get a taller lower cup or run a spacer or both. Or, have Walt build you a custom frame that will accomodate a CK headset and Reba SL or Race.

The issue is not a reason to purchase either or both products.

Sean

Walt said:
I have to disagree about the "scratching the downtube paint" comment. I have hit a downtube with a fork (don't ask) and _broken the frame in half_ in a crash. It really, really sucked.

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll just have to try it

I did some searching and didn't see anyone talking about that particular setup. I have a large KM frame with an S2 headset on it awaiting buildup. I spec'd out the rest of the parts i'd want on it, and that came close to $1000. But, as many other's have already pointed out, at $999, the GF Rig retails at less than the sum of its parts. So I went out and bought a Rig and it's being built up this week. I'm going to tell them to put the S2 headset on it because I heard the stock one is garbage, and I was also thinking it would make it easy to try the Rig rigid and the KM suspended. If the S2/RebaSL/KM setup doesn't quite work, and I decide I really want suspension on the monkey, I will try a different headset. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.