Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
bike dork
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Suppose I should make it 100% clear this is not a knock on RS.. I've been beating on this fork a whole bunch.

With that out of the way here's the question - I have a Reba with ~ 40 hours on it under me (6' 190lbs with gear), and an unknown amount of use from the previous owner. It's set at 100mm and resides on my Rip 9. My riding style on the Rip is about as smooth as sandpaper, and it's seen it's share of drops with a limited few up to 4' and countless smaller drops. All that said it recently developed a slow leak and I find new oil on and around the flood gate adjustment knob after every ride. For the record I do not store it upside down (not sure if that might factor into it at all) and I also can't discern any noticeable difference in performance. Anyone have a similar experience and a fix? I'm hoping it's as small as a seal or o-ring. I want a little info before I drop it off at the shop later this week. It's always nice to see if what they think jives with what's gone on in the riding world. I'm not 100% sure they won't just ship it to RS but I'd rather not foot that bill..

Any help/insight is appreciated.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
mtbdee said:
Hi all,

Suppose I should make it 100% clear this is not a knock on RS.. I've been beating on this fork a whole bunch.

With that out of the way here's the question - I have a Reba with ~ 40 hours on it under me (6' 190lbs with gear), and an unknown amount of use from the previous owner. It's set at 100mm and resides on my Rip 9. My riding style on the Rip is about as smooth as sandpaper, and it's seen it's share of drops with a limited few up to 4' and countless smaller drops. All that said it recently developed a slow leak and I find new oil on and around the flood gate adjustment knob after every ride. For the record I do not store it upside down (not sure if that might factor into it at all) and I also can't discern any noticeable difference in performance. Anyone have a similar experience and a fix? I'm hoping it's as small as a seal or o-ring. I want a little info before I drop it off at the shop later this week. It's always nice to see if what they think jives with what's gone on in the riding world. I'm not 100% sure they won't just ship it to RS but I'd rather not foot that bill..

Any help/insight is appreciated.
It's a simple fix, probably the 0 ring in the floodgate. You could do it yourself without too much trouble. Get a couple of 0 rings and have at it.

R.

·
bike dork
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rainman said:
It's a simple fix, probably the 0 ring in the floodgate. You could do it yourself without too much trouble. Get a couple of 0 rings and have at it.

R.
Thx! I may just do that.. One of the good things about my LBS is that they have all sorts of fork parts, and they stock the small stuff. I'm guessing they may have an O ring or two that will work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My Reba had about a year of hard use before it started to leak. From what I hear, a lot of people have the same problem. To fix mine, I did a full rebuild. After putting the fork back together, it still was leaking out of the flood gate control knob. After looking more closely, there is an o-ring just below the gate control knob...I pushed the o-ring down into the dampening assembly and it fixed the problem...Also make sure that the cartridge is fully tightened on the fork. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
449 Posts
have the same issue with my motion control knob

I just rebuilt mine as well -- I noticed some oil on the top of the floodgate/motion control lever -- I will have to check to make sure that o-ring is seated properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.