Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search but didn't find anything. I have been having problems putting air into the negative air chamber on my Reba. When I screw the pump on it lets all the air out of the chamber, and when I unscrew it it lets a lot of air out of the chamber. I never really know how much air I have in the neg chamber. I don't have this problem with the positive chamber. Has anyone else experienced this, or have any idea on what to do? Thanks, in advance.

Randy

·
Save Jesus
2,947 Posts
Yeah, the schraeder pin on the negative valve tends to stick out too much. With some shock pumps, the pin is still pressed down when you unscrew it, so air will leak out. The pumps that come with the Reba forks don't have this problem.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was recommended by another poster in the clyde forum, to replace the valve core for the negative valvle. It apparently worked for him, it seems cheap enough to try. What do you think, will it work? My Reba from pricepoint did not come with a pump, so I am out of luck with that suggestion. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
You can either replace the valve.....

but before you do that, get a valve core wrench, which you'll need to do in order to replace the core anyway, and make sure that the current core is completely seated. Just insert the core wrench and gently turn it to the right and make sure that it is snug. Then try to fill again. Another semi fix is to carefully screw the air chuck of your pump on while watching the air guage. As soon as the air guage gives a reading STOP. Inflate, then remove the pump. It's not uncommon for the valve post to be a bit too long and cause this problem. They are not that expensive and are usually not that well manufactured as far a tight tolerances for that little pin on the valve. So it well could be that the one in your fork currently is a little longer that it should be. Anyway try snugging the valve down first, and if that doesn't work replace the valve.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am the poster from the Clyde forum that recommended replacing the valve core. I didn't get a pump with my Reba from Pricepoint (not happy about that), but I have the same pump from my Sid. I had the same problem mentioned above and fixed it by replacing the valve core with one I had kicking around the shop. Like mentioned above, try tightening the existing one first. If that doesn't work, try replacing it. The one I removed from the Reba had a red seal, the one I put in was black, not sure if that has anything to do with length or sizing, or just a different brand of valve core.

On my Cloud 9 rear shock, I had the same problem, and solved it by tightening the existing core.

Good luck, its a great fork!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.