Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, not a new topic, but...

After a few years riding rigid bikes, the last year and a half on a Karate Monkey, I'm taking the plunge and getting a Reba up front. My frame is a brown XL.

I've read all the threads I can find on this board, sounds like I need to get 5-7 mm of additional clearance. My plan:

1. FSA Pig DH Pro headset, swapped from my Pugsley. That will give me 2.5 mm more on the lower stack height over my current headset. 16 mm vs. 13.5
  2. Get the internal gate damper for my Reba, which would pick up about 3 mm.

Anyways, I'm gonna give this a go and see how it works out. Anyone got any thoughts on it, please chime in.

·
Registered
822 Posts
anthony.delorenzo said:
OK, not a new topic, but...

After a few years riding rigid bikes, the last year and a half on a Karate Monkey, I'm taking the plunge and getting a Reba up front. My frame is a brown XL.

I've read all the threads I can find on this board, sounds like I need to get 5-7 mm of additional clearance. My plan:

1. FSA Pig DH Pro headset, swapped from my Pugsley. That will give me 2.5 mm more on the lower stack height over my current headset. 16 mm vs. 13.5
  2. Get the internal gate damper for my Reba, which would pick up about 3 mm.

Anyways, I'm gonna give this a go and see how it works out. Anyone got any thoughts on it, please chime in.
What year is your Monkey because the newer ones don't that the clearance issue. If you are running a CK headset you could also just use one of the +4 or +7 crown races here:http://www.ventanausa.com/main_accessories.html

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RockyRider said:
What year is your Monkey because the newer ones don't that the clearance issue. If you are running a CK headset you could also just use one of the +4 or +7 crown races here:http://www.ventanausa.com/main_accessories.html
It is an older one, skidmark brown.

I'm currently running an FSA headset that has the same lower stack as a King, so by swapping headsets to the Pig DH Pro I'm basically getting +2.5 out of the deal. Hoping that, along with the internal damper control, it will be enough.

If I am just barely there I may try shimming underneath the crown race.

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It works!

Well, it worked out. I think I have about 0.00039 mm of clearance to spare, but it does clear. :thumbsup: So, for future reference, here is a successful setup for an older KM and Reba:

• XL Karate Monkey (old style frame, skidmark brown)
  • Rock Shox Reba SL 29er w/ internal floodgate control
  • FSA Pig DH Pro headset

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.