Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post this in the 29er forum. Seeing how its gets way more viewers. If the mods feel it should be in the shock section. Please move it.

After some research I finally rebuilt my '09 REBA SL, which was used when I got it. It had two 20mm spacers on the air side. A lot of my research came from old threads here and the RS Tech manual. Both had a lot of older Reba content. I thought the Reba was 80-100mm adjustable. Confussed by the two 20mm spacers installed. I stop and hop online. Find info where the "09s were convertable from 80-120mm using spacers. Cool, back to work. Put it back together with a single 20mm spacer.

Now for the problem. After bounceing around the neighborhood letting everything settle in some. I only have 3" of travel on the stanctions when unweighted. With a scrawny rider onboard it sags down to about 2 1/2" travel left. :madman: How do I get closer to 100mm of travel?

A) Add 10ml of oil to the rebound side. At the beginning of the RS manual it said 133ml's. Later on in the manual it says 123 ml's. I went with 123, can always add 10 more.

B) Remove the other spacer and try again?

C) Sell it and buy a rigid. I'm getting to old for this. :eek:ut:

Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neg is at 70. Pos I bumped up to 100 with no results.

Sheepo, if you follow the RS tech manual its fairly straight forward. You can download it off Srams website. I just rebuilt one side then the other. Ordered the rebuild kit online for $28. I did some reading where people just disassembled the fork and took the o rings to a hydrolic type store and picked them up cheap. The thing I like about the rebuild kit is you get new crush washers for both the bottum legs. New valve stem cores. Extra valve stem caps. Incase you drop one in the woods like an idiot. The travel spacers and snap rings were really the only useless things. (The stanctions look like they would be damaged beyond repair. Before the snap rings were damaged). I guess Im to lazy to run all over town trying to piece it together and save ten bucks. Cheaper than a new fork.

Oh yeah, the stanction seals and wipers were'nt included in this kit. I didnt replace those. They werent leaking any. Just cleaned and regreased them. Figure six months from now I'll replace with Enduro seals. When taken apart and serviced.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Just not enough +, what worked for 80mm mode won't for 100mm mode.

Keep the negative under the +, 10 under does seem to work, if you want a more active fork, then reduce the - not the other way. It also makes it more flappy.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yeah, oil won't change the travel.

I say try letting the air out and refilling it, see how it goes.

I run 110/110 positive and negative on my 08 fork set to 100mm, and I'm 215 pounds... give or take. Also once you set the pressure in one chamber, it throws off the other. Best to set the positive pressure, then the negative, and adjust the positive again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.