Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, Just got my bike 2 weeks ago, and been moving so havent had a chance to ride much, anyway i took it out yesterday worked awesome, came home and notice that the fork is locked and wont move(no travel) i tried moving the lockout switch back and forth but nothing, just like its locked all the time. 3rd ride on the bike.... whats up?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,164 Posts
Danny_b said:
hey guys, Just got my bike 2 weeks ago, and been moving so havent had a chance to ride much, anyway i took it out yesterday worked awesome, came home and notice that the fork is locked and wont move(no travel) i tried moving the lockout switch back and forth but nothing, just like its locked all the time. 3rd ride on the bike.... whats up?
It sounds like the lockout is stuck in the locked position.

If you cant get the fork to move, you have two choices here...

Take the fork to your LBS and get them to open it up and have a look at the lockout mechanism, or you do it yourself.

If you are ok working on a fork, it's not that hard to remove the mechanism and check to make sure it isn't stuck.

R.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Is it locked down…as in it doesn’t move and is all the way down in its travel? If that’s the case, it sounds like you have a problem with one of the O rings that separates the positive and negative air chambers. Mine did this with less than 50 miles on it. You can try letting the air out of both the positive (top) and negative (bottom) chambers. Then pump it back up and see what happens.
I had to replace the O rings a couple of times, which is one of the reasons my Reba is sitting in the corner of my shop and I have a Fox on my 29er now

·
Mtbr
318 Posts
My LBS told me when I had a Reba just to pick up the front wheel about three feet and slam it down when this happened to me. It worked like a charm, fork opened. I don't know how good for the bike it was though. :)

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
If air bleeds

Danny_b said:
From the positive chamber, past the seals and into the negative chamber the fork will "lock out".You might try releasing some of PSI from the negative chamber to see if the travel comes back..

·
ballbuster
12,709 Posts
Mine had that exact problem

santacruzer said:
Is it locked down…as in it doesn't move and is all the way down in its travel? If that's the case, it sounds like you have a problem with one of the O rings that separates the positive and negative air chambers. Mine did this with less than 50 miles on it. You can try letting the air out of both the positive (top) and negative (bottom) chambers. Then pump it back up and see what happens.
I had to replace the O rings a couple of times, which is one of the reasons my Reba is sitting in the corner of my shop and I have a Fox on my 29er now
It was locked topped out... all the way up. O-ring burped air between the lower and upper air spring. It happens. LBS should take care of you if you have a new bike.

Yeah, try letting air out of both chambers first. Keep in mind letting air out of one might make pressure in the other when the fork moves, so alternate back and forth between the positive an negative. I would suggest using the bleed off valve on a shock pump. If you own an air sprung fork, you should get the shock pump anyway. How else are you going to set it up to your preferences?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I'm on my way to the bike shop, I'm gonna grab a shock pump. I called the guy at LBS that I bought the bike from and he said sounds like the switch isn't rotating the collar. Do ill check that. Again....

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
Ditto on the Neg. chamber issue. When the pressure is greater in the Neg over the Pos. via a bad seal it creates a suction shrinking the travel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so shock pump read 150 in pos, 10 in neg, so i set both at 145, road around andmoved the shcoked up and down, and now the neg is down to 100. i think i have a leak, huh? im gonna bring it back to my bike shop where i bought it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So its been almost 4 weeks

Took bike back to LBS and they sent fork back to Rock shox. About weeks ago got a message from lbs saying that rock shox was backorder on seal kits and they got them in that day, he said he will keep me posted of any new developments. I havent heard anything else.... does sram/rock shox always have this long of a turn around? that shock is brand new not even 20 miles on it, just frustrated...

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,164 Posts
That's unusual, actually. I sent a couple of customer forks into Rockshox and had them back in a few days ... about a week is pretty much the usual turnaround.

However... if they are out of seal kits.. :eekster: that could explain the extra time.

Hang in there, it will be worth it.. :thumbsup:

R.

·
Banned
1,852 Posts
Danny_b said:
Took bike back to LBS and they sent fork back to Rock shox. About weeks ago got a message from lbs saying that rock shox was backorder on seal kits and they got them in that day, he said he will keep me posted of any new developments. I havent heard anything else.... does sram/rock shox always have this long of a turn around? that shock is brand new not even 20 miles on it, just frustrated...
Sounds like an excuse to me. Seal kits have been readily available lately from the major suppliers and I have been rebuilding several Rebas lately.

Plus, the Reba is just about the most simple and modular fork on the planet. You could use a seal kit from any RS 32mm fork, not to mention entire air piston assys are also available right now and take a whopping 7 minutes to install, even for a gorilla with a 10mm wrench and an allen key. Typically when something blows, RS/Sram sends out new piston assys for whatever went wrong, the rarely have a fork sent back to them unless the mechanic claims ignorance when calling in the warranty.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chequamagon said:
Sounds like an excuse to me. Seal kits have been readily available lately from the major suppliers and I have been rebuilding several Rebas lately.

Plus, the Reba is just about the most simple and modular fork on the planet. You could use a seal kit from any RS 32mm fork, not to mention entire air piston assys are also available right now and take a whopping 7 minutes to install, even for a gorilla with a 10mm wrench and an allen key. Typically when something blows, RS/Sram sends out new piston assys for whatever went wrong, the rarely have a fork sent back to them unless the mechanic claims ignorance when calling in the warranty.
wow thats crazy because the lbs thinks they know what the problems is, and said they tried to get rock shox to send the part, but they send rs/sram wouldnt and wanted the shock sent in... hmmmm....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rock shox Reba locked up too

I have the same problem. shock has no travel and is locked up in the fully extended position. I checked the air pressures and they wer both low, aruond 30 psi. I pumped both the +ve & 0 -ve up to 1455 psi but fork is still locked out.

I have had the shock some 3-4 months. I am down in the caribbean so its gonna be more problematic (& expensive; shipping) for me to get it to the bike shop I bought it (in Atlanta) for them to fix it or have it replaced.

Am looking for any ideas that may help me to fix it here.

Thanx,

Dasword

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i just spent 15 minutes typing detailed reponse and i hit stupid effing windows key and backspace and it wiped it. so heres the short version, mine locked from leaky neg air chamber, would leak from 150 to 0 in just a matter of minutes riding around going off curbs, it would hold without fine just sitting. it went to rock shox/sram and was repaired, first ride out, locked again, this time pressures were fine. bike shopped pulled it apart and there was too much oil on one side and was hydrolocked. they put correct oil, i picked it up, and 1st ride locked again, pulled it off and sent to sram, and got a new fork. it sure sounds like hydrolock on yours, but if both air chambers were at 30psi, thats really low. you could pull the fork apart, but without shock oils and stuff you wont be able to do any good. sounds like you better take it to bike shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
reba locked up

Thanx for the response man.

Its gonna be expensive & time consuming but I guess I gotta do it.

The annoying part about it is that this reba is a replacement that SRAM sent for a DART 3 that was the origianl euquipment on hte bike. I had to pay the fedex shipping charges twice, to Atlanta & back. Cost me hundreds! I'll call hte bike shop in Atlanta tomorrow; I am not a happy SRAM customer though. Two warranty issues with two different shocks.I think I'll call SRAM too. Any body have a number?

DS

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.