Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For what it's worth: I had my '05 Reba SL set at 85 negative, 100 positive (I weigh 160) and rode it for a few months. This last ride I dialed up the negative to about 110 (sure loses a bunch of psi when I remove the pump!) and was amazed at the improved small-bump compliance. Much better. It now rides down in it's travel more (set at 100) but you gotta have sag, right? Both rebound and compression all the way off.

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
Reba tuning

Dude,

Tha sounds like an excellent suggestion - I will try it.

I weigh about the same as you (150+) but am currently running 80 pos 60 neg. Whilst the comfort seems to be there, I sometimes find it too soft, and a bit too harsh in the way it comes back after a deep rut for ex.

However, at this setting you get a lot less negative sag. FYI, running 05 Reba Team at 100mm on 03 NRS.

Like you I find that its better to ride with full fast rebound, but have been dialing it in lately to try and remedy the above issue. Re compression, I like to use about have with a couple of turns into the floodgate.

How does your fork handle small high frequency ruts - mine is rather terrible, but am told that Reba's just don't manage it in the way a Fox might...

Cheers,

P.

·
Registered
72 Posts
do it

i weigh 180 pounds and am running mine at 110 positive (to get the right sag) and 115 negative. i found that with my neg less than the positive you still have a softish first 5mm but it ramps up a lot harder quicker. going more neg. gives a wonderful plushness and much better small bump compliance. just do it in small increments though and feel it out. more neg than pos is softer.

Ps trust the numbers you are putting in, not the numbers you get when you attach the pump. the neg chamber is small and when you attach your pump there is a decent drop in pressure as the chamber and hose get pressurised. the pssst you hear when you disconnect is the sound of the air coming from the hose not a leaky chamber.

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
-ve > +ve

Moman,

Thanks for sharing your tip - that's exactly what I'm getting and was wondering how to resolve - will give it a try!

PS: I'm aware of the "reconnecting your pump will make your pressure drop" thing, and how small the -ve chamber is. Easy mistake to make though, thankfully as previous poster had kindly put up a good explantion somewhere on this board and educated me.

Cheers,

P.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Thanks for the tips

My usual m.o. is to f with it for a couple of weeks. Then just ride.

I go about 175 geared up. Have my U-turn reba set at 115mm with 110 pos/95 neg, 3 clicks in on the floodgate. Gives me excellent anti-dive in the corners but totally lacks small bump compliance. A Fox float 100 is much better in the small stuff but no wheres as stable into the turns. After reading this thread i think i will try and over pressure the neg side.

I tried going with a lighter weight oil, it did not help in the small stuff and the lock out is very soft.

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
If you want fox plushness out of a Reba, you have atleast the same or more psi in the negative chamaber-- I weigh 160 and run my + @ 100 and my - @ 105--very nice. I love the fork.

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
Iceaxe,

Just what I have been looking for - I will certainly give it a go.

But how much 'negative travel' loss (e.g. sag without you on the bike) do you get with your set up? In my previous experiments it seemed to make the fork sag down a bit - I guess it's no real biggie though; maybe I am just obsessed...

Cheers,

P.

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
It does change the the amount negative travel (or position without you on the bike). However, it seems to have very little effect of the amount sag I get at a given positive chamber air pressure-- as it should. The negative air is supposed to be the "plushness" control-- it changes the responsiveness of the fork to inputs at the top of its travel, and has very little effect on the lower portion of it.

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
I think I know exactly what you mean

Trying to follow the 'conventional' method to achieve sag on the Reba seems to result in too soft a fork. I guess the negative sag sort of makes up for it. Can't wait to try it out...

Cheers,

P.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
This is exactly the info I was looking for. I have an '05 Reba SL dual air, and I've never been able to achieve the plushness I have always heard the Reba is famous for. My experience so far is that the fork does feel plush at the very top, but man does it ramp up and feel stiff very quickly. I'm using my Reba on an '05 Jamis Dakar XC Expert, and the 100mm fork feels like it has less travel than the 90mm rear. I go about 180 with gear, and I've dropped my positive pressure below 100psi to get any kind of decent travel. However, I also dropped the negative to around 85. Perhaps increasing the negative to 110 and the positive to 100 is the answer. I'll give 'er a try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I weights 132lbs and runs the reba at 85mm travel, when i followed the 60% rules @ pos70psi, neg 40psi, the fork feels very "dead", not responding to small bumps.

After changing the pressure to pos 60psi, neg 70psi. Wow, it feels plusher than my friend's f80, and rides like sitting on sofa. Now i love my Reba more than anything else.:D

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
negative/positive

At first I bought into the 60% rule o' thumb (which in my case came out 100 pos 60 neg or thereabouts) but today was my second ride at 115 neg 100 pos (I weigh 160) and I'm still impressed. The majority of my trails have a buncha 3-6 inch hits and at 115 neg it just smooths these out wonderfully. I agree with the posters above that at the recommended positive (in my case around 100-115) it ramps up pretty fast, but I can use this travel when I really need it...which in my case isn't all that often because I'm not a big hit kinda rider.

It's fun to have a fork this reasonably priced with this much tuneability and stiffness. I have Skarebs on my other bikes and these are good, too, but in a different way. You immediately get the plushness that the Reba makes you tune for, plus a lighter fork for the weight weenies among us, but if you go for too much plushness at the first two inches of travel you bottom out a lot. With the Reba you've got so many ways to tune your travel (first two inches, ultimate bottom-out).

I'm going to Moab with this Reba in a few days and Porcupine, Amassa Back and Gold Bar should give me more info to share. Happy tuning!

·
Registered
12 Posts
according to the manual, RS advised the pos and neg pressure @ quite similar pressure

140lbs---pos80-115psi-----neg80-115psi
and so on............

According to most users, if you prefer something plusher, we should go for a much lower pos air pressure. And adjust the neg air according to how much sensitivity you want the fork to react to small bumps

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
Everybody has it wrong

Everyone in this thread should read what Anden had to say a couple of weeks ago:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=174215

He and bikerx40 convinced me and I adjusted my Revelation accordingly.

Basically to get the fork real plush on small bumps you need to lower the positive as far as you can without getting too much bottoming. Then adjust the sag by making the negative lower than the positive. That will raise the sag back up to what it was.

Pretty much all the recommendations in the RockShox manual are wrong.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Use your MCD and Floodgate

It sounds like you are right on with your PSI experiments, but don't ignore the coolest features of this fork, which are the MCD and Floodgate, by running zero compression damping.

Try this: Run your compression damping about 1/3 to half, but only use 1-2 turns of Floodgate from full-open. This will give you a little bit of low-speed compression damping, and helps the fork combat brake dive and packing up, but will feel just as plush as it does with no damping.

Then when you flip the compression to full, you will now have a subtle pedaling platform that should support you just enough that you can climb hard out of the saddle, but not more. This is where the experimenting with the floodgate comes in. I have found that one full turn isn't enough, but two full turns is more than I need.

JMH

xcguy said:
For what it's worth: I had my '05 Reba SL set at 85 negative, 100 positive (I weigh 160) and rode it for a few months. This last ride I dialed up the negative to about 110 (sure loses a bunch of psi when I remove the pump!) and was amazed at the improved small-bump compliance. Much better. It now rides down in it's travel more (set at 100) but you gotta have sag, right? Both rebound and compression all the way off.

·
H8 H8 H8
864 Posts
Ditto.

JMH said:
It sounds like you are right on with your PSI experiments, but don't ignore the coolest features of this fork, which are the MCD and Floodgate, by running zero compression damping.

Try this: Run your compression damping about 1/3 to half, but only use 1-2 turns of Floodgate from full-open. This will give you a little bit of low-speed compression damping, and helps the fork combat brake dive and packing up, but will feel just as plush as it does with no damping.

Then when you flip the compression to full, you will now have a subtle pedaling platform that should support you just enough that you can climb hard out of the saddle, but not more. This is where the experimenting with the floodgate comes in. I have found that one full turn isn't enough, but two full turns is more than I need.

JMH
I threw away the Pop-lock and replaced it with a cheap friction thumb shifter - Voila,
infinite compression damping adjustment. Turn the damping all the way on, and set the
floodgate so you have *just* enough platform to control bobbing, rather than a rigid
lockout. Run most of the time at around 50% compression damping, and switch to
full damping for climbing. YMMV, but this works great for me.

By the way, does anyone else here think that a remote for the FLOODGATE setting would be
much more useful than a remote for the COMPRESSION setting? Crank the compression
damping way up and leave it, then use a lot of floodgate for climbing and very little for everything
else.

ZB

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
Broussard....

I agree with you. That'd be the best of both worlds.

Something I've noticed (I have a 06 Reba Team with PopLock Adjust U-Turn):

I rarely ride the same settings 2 rides in a row. I'm still 'experimenting' 6 months into the fork. I absolutely love this thing and the infinite adjustability.

Last evening a short 1 mile downhill then the climb back up.....I tried something new on the climb.

Rebound dampening knob almost completely closed...(towards the turtle)
Compression about halfway and unlocked.

The fork friggin stuck to the trail on the climb. It's a very steep ride in a few sections and steering can be sketchy.
Normally, I'd lock the fork for a climb, but the compliance from having it unlocked helps it stick, and closing the rebound really helps further...zero pogo.

cheers

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
-ve > +ve

Yesterday finally had a chance to try out the suggested higher negative pressure, and all I can say is wow! What a difference, the fork now just eats up the trail.

I started of at 90 pos/100 Neg and found it a bit too soft. So I bumped it up to 100/100 and rode the rest of the trail like this. Not quite as plush as I wanted, but didn't have time to adjust further on the trail. I did find that I am using a lot more of my travel.

I still find it a bit too soft (I guess I am probably heavier than I imagined :rolleyes:) and will probably give 110 pos / 120 neg a try next. Agree with other readers comments that there is a huge range of adjustments that can be made to a Reba (mine is a Race dual air with poploc BTW), though I finally think I'm on the right track.

I did read the Anden threads mentioned above - I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about physics, etc. but my trusty arse-o-meter indicates that the higher neg pressure puts a bigger smile on my face. I did run my fork the way Anden recommended initially, but I certainly like the new setup better.

Beauty is, you can try both and find the setting that suits you best, with no harm done either way.

Cheers,

P.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tuning the Reba

Just got back from Moab. Went out on the large area of slickrock at the north end of the first part of Sovereign and tried all kindsa pressures. As someone suggested, I first let all the negative pressure out, then put just enough positive in to keep from bottoming too much. Before all this I was running 100 pos 115 neg. This time around I wound up with about 80 pos. It was different seeing that I could actually get full travel (100) regularly. Before it seemed the last inch of travel was only available during an emergency! Then I pumped up the neg lb by lb until I got about 60 in there. Had the plushness I wanted in the first two inches of travel but still could access full travel a lot, but without bobbing. It seemed like putting air in the negative chamber stiffened up the positive, like Anden (?) alluded to. Later, when I went back up that steep sumb!tch climb to the top area of Sovereign I decided to mess with it some more. Managed to drop the neg all the way back to zero but decided to try that out. I only accessed about 2 1/2" of travel the whole way back. Then pumped the neg back up to 60 and travel was good again throughout. Haven't messed with the floodgate. That's just too many things to think about while on vacation!

1 - 20 of 528 Posts