Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to be quick and concise here. I've got an 05 Reba SL and an 06 Race with remote Poploc. Long story short, I want the new Race but in SL form for clearance reasons (ie, the same old story on here.) Two questions...

1) Since I have the SL already, I'm assuming I can swap out the external Floodgate and remote Poploc on my new Race with the internal Floodgate off my old SL. Is this a safe assumption.

2) Assuming that #1 is true, has anyone done this? Can you share the procedure?

(BTW, I've searched around a fair bit and have heard mentions of this, but nothing detailed or definitive. I apologize if I missed something obvious though.)

The alternative is obviously the Ventana CK 7mm crown race but I don't like adding unnecessary space under my headtube and also don't see much value in the remote PL or external FG adjustment. I wish I couldve just gotten a new SL, but that's a whole different boring story.

Thanks in advance, S

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Uhhh, ok, I think I found it in the RS service guide. Involves replacing (or in this case, swapping) the motion control dampers. Looks pretty straightforward. S

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
I've done this - for the same reason - clearance. It is very easy. Double check your Reba Service Guide and parts list to confirm numbers for your specific fork and of course to see how it goes together - explained very clearly. Here's the parts list to go to a non-Pop-loc internal gate (provides greatest clearance):

REBA / PIKE COMP DAMPER ASSY, INT GATE, NON-REMOTE

MOTION CONTROL INTERNAL GATE CAP 11.4309.003.000

MOTION CONTROL COMP KNOB KIT, STD 11.4308.928.000

5 weight fork oil (remember that oil level is critical to attaining proper lock-out)

Check with Chris at www.speedgoat.com. I provided him with the same list and he has worked this through with several customers and is aware of the process - may even have the parts in stock.

Also, you can replace the RS air cap on the left leg with a standard shrader valve cap right on the valve stem.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
endure26 said:
I've done this - for the same reason - clearance. It is very easy. Double check your Reba Service Guide and parts list to confirm numbers for your specific fork and of course to see how it goes together - explained very clearly. Here's the parts list to go to a non-Pop-loc internal gate (provides greatest clearance):
You needed to both convert the Race to an SL and run a +7mm Ventana/King race to get clearance? What size frame is that and/or what are the specs. Nice bike.

If you're determined to swap guts I won't dissuade you, but a new crown race is $25 (if you've got a CK HS) vs. dropping the coin and time on changing out guts.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks. Yeah, I'll check but I should have everything from my existing SL. I'll just be completely swapping out the whole motion control and floodgate components. Of course we'll see how confident I am with two forks partially disassembled! Thanks again, S

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Dean Colonel 29 size large. Both Ventana +7mm AND Reba conversion to manual/internal - knob still grazes the DT.

I had already been riding it for about four months before I put the Reba on it. Was told by Dean I'd have no problems when I purchased the frame in Feb05.

I'd agree with Soupboy. Buy the Ventana race or a Cane Creek tall lower cup and keep the Reba the way it is (unless you ride a Dean).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.