Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My current black super air (100) is dying fast (Ihave to rebuild it after every ride now)
And I am in the market for a new fork but cant decide between 3 of them
The first one is the untested Reba Team with U-turn and remote lockout (85-115)
Second is the 05 Black Platinum Air with IT travel (0-120)
Third is a Manitou Minute 2 05 (100)
They are all in the same weight group (3.5-3.6)
The fork will be going on a titus switchblade (4.5") I am hoping to upgrade the rear to 5.52" in the not to nearfuture.

Thanks for the help guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Wait until the Reba is tested by a major magazine or website (like mountain bike action) I assume its good, but theres no way to tell yet. Your best bet if you need a fork now is the minute. However, id spring for the 130 mm travel option because it will feel uneven to have 135/140 MM in the back and 100 in the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
DH_WP said:
Hi
My current black super air (100) is dying fast (Ihave to rebuild it after every ride now)
And I am in the market for a new fork but cant decide between 3 of them
The first one is the untested Reba Team with U-turn and remote lockout (85-115)
Second is the 05 Black Platinum Air with IT travel (0-120)
Third is a Manitou Minute 2 05 (100)
They are all in the same weight group (3.5-3.6)
The fork will be going on a titus switchblade (4.5") I am hoping to upgrade the rear to 5.52" in the not to nearfuture.

Thanks for the help guys
One thing to keep in mind is that for 2005, the Black forks no longer have TPC. Instead they use "Fluid flow daming" (FFD) which is not as good as the old shim stacked TPC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the Minute

But will wait till they have done a thrashing on the the Reba before I make my choice.
thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
ajw8899 said:
Wait until the Reba is tested by a major magazine or website (like mountain bike action) I assume its good, but theres no way to tell yet. Your best bet if you need a fork now is the minute. However, id spring for the 130 mm travel option because it will feel uneven to have 135/140 MM in the back and 100 in the front.
No.

Wait until it has been for six months at least, it takes a while before there are enough forks out tested by lot of normal riders. Magazines do get hand-picked and tuned forks for testing anyway.

Other option is to buy that thing and go riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
You can get some reviewing of the Reba at www.angryasian.com. James is one of the local riders around here and is a decent guy. He just got a production Reba to try out. Of course Rock Shox still could have slipped him a ringer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,850 Posts
anand said:
One thing to keep in mind is that for 2005, the Black forks no longer have TPC. Instead they use "Fluid flow daming" (FFD) which is not as good as the old shim stacked TPC.
Yes they will, the super models are still TPC as always and so is the platinum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
I am sort of in the same boat but i think i can nurse my wet noodle fork for another season. I really want a fork with spv and 32mm stanchions. My plan is to wait till the end of next season when the oem blowout Reba hit the internet. The only thing about the Reba that makes me hesitant is that it will work fine on my current XC rig but I think my next bike will be a plush trail bike and not sure if at 115mm the Reba has enough travel for such duties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
DH_WP said:
Hi
My current black super air (100) is dying fast (Ihave to rebuild it after every ride now)
And I am in the market for a new fork but cant decide between 3 of them
The first one is the untested Reba Team with U-turn and remote lockout (85-115)
Second is the 05 Black Platinum Air with IT travel (0-120)
Third is a Manitou Minute 2 05 (100)
They are all in the same weight group (3.5-3.6)
The fork will be going on a titus switchblade (4.5") I am hoping to upgrade the rear to 5.52" in the not to nearfuture.

Thanks for the help guys
Two things:

--have you swapped in Enduro seals? They last a lot longer and will make for fewer rebuilds on the Black.

--Do you live near a SuperGo? 100-130 Minute 3: $349 until Labor Day.

That's all I got, bro!
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
EBasil said:
--Do you live near a SuperGo? 100-130 Minute 3: $349 until Labor Day.

$350 for a Minute 3? Geez thats pretty darn good...

Any idea if this is available at the Westminster, CO store? I noticed their Inventory Reduction Sale wasn't valid at that store, but I'm headed up there this weekend. Might have to jump on that deal, although I was kind of holding out for a 2005 Talas.
 

·
Riding a Rig.
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
The reba looks nice... but the fact it only has 115mm of travel is anoyoing, but atleast its nice and light. I might have to go for a pike. (which almost has too much travel)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason for reba

Reba team u-turn is light.
and all three travel modes will fit my rear travel switchblade (3.7"/4.5"/5.23") and still have XC type handling.
The Black IT would also work (0-120)
The minute 2 05 only comes in 100 or 130 and the Minute 3 05 is way to expensive.

It is not the top seals that keep blowing but the rebound dampner. The bushing as are also shot and I have so much Friction that I cant pinpoint. Even the LBS has no idea why the fork is behaving like that.
So I think I will just dump it on my hardtail (the friction acts as a SPV) and get a working fork for my SB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Reba is cool

I had a chance to test ride the Reba two different time with two different forks (1st about 3 days and the 2nd about a week). I've never been a real big Rock Shox fan, mainly because of all the problems they had in their pre-SRAM days. But I must say I was really impressed. The adjustable lockout is frig'n sweet! I have a rule of thumb that I never buy something during its debut year...but I will make an exception for the Reba. SRAM has put soooo much R&D into this fork and so much time testing and sending it out to be tested by independent people that they've really nailed this fork down right. Now I fully expect them to make a few changes as the years go by to improve design (hell, that how companies get you to buy new forks!!) but to me thats not a good enough reason not to enjoy the Reba now. Currently I ride a '04 Fox Float, '04 Marz Marathon, and a rigid SS...I beleive the SS will get the Reba
 

·
Riding a Rig.
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
cool, its always good for there to be more competition in the market...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks , that was just what I wanted to hear

Now the long wait till Jenson gets some in.

The_Real_Cyclesmith said:
I had a chance to test ride the Reba two different time with two different forks (1st about 3 days and the 2nd about a week). I've never been a real big Rock Shox fan, mainly because of all the problems they had in their pre-SRAM days. But I must say I was really impressed. The adjustable lockout is frig'n sweet! I have a rule of thumb that I never buy something during its debut year...but I will make an exception for the Reba. SRAM has put soooo much R&D into this fork and so much time testing and sending it out to be tested by independent people that they've really nailed this fork down right. Now I fully expect them to make a few changes as the years go by to improve design (hell, that how companies get you to buy new forks!!) but to me thats not a good enough reason not to enjoy the Reba now. Currently I ride a '04 Fox Float, '04 Marz Marathon, and a rigid SS...I beleive the SS will get the Reba
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,850 Posts
anand said:
Nope, for 2005 all Black models are FFD.
They are TPC. If they where FFD they couldn't have the lockout with adjustable compression damping. Anything you've read about them having FFD is a typo. They did the same in 04 where even the manual stated they where FFD and some early model came with the FFD decal but where in fact TPC. Thats because some OEM models where sold as cheaper FFD models. Take a look at the fork and you can easily tell. The TPC ones will have the standard red lockout/compression lever while the FFD ones will have just the black cap/knob.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top